BP Oil Saga:...Hooray! at last!

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
BP stops oil leak in Gulf of Mexico for first time since April

Gush of oil stopped for the first time in three months – but Obama administration warns cap might only be a temporary fix
BP-oil-cap-during-pressur-006.jpg

BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles said engineers would be checking carefully to make sure no oil was escaping from the well. Photograph: Reuters

The gush of oil from BP's spewing well in the Gulf of Mexico was stopped for the first time in three months yesterday, raising hopes that it could be sealed off for good.
The Obama administration immediately warned that a cap sealing off the well might only be a temporary fix. "We're encouraged by this development, but this isn't over," said Thad Allen, the US Coast Guard commander.

But for the first time in 87 days, it appeared last night that BP had control over the well.
The company said it would have to monitor the cap holding back the oil in a series of pressure tests every six hours for the next 48 hours, before it could be certain the well would hold.

It also cautioned that the final solution remained a relief well, still some weeks away.
"I am very excited that there's no oil in the Gulf of Mexico," Kent Wells, a senior vice-president for BP, said in a conference call. "But we just started the test and I don't want to create a false sense of excitement."

Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer, said engineers would be checking carefully to make sure no oil was escaping from the well from previously undiscovered leaks.
If that is the case, engineers would remove the cap and ramp up their containment operation from the well.

The flow of oil was cut off yesterday evening as engineers began shutting off a series of valves around the well, a process that took about two hours.
For the first time, video from BP's live feed on the ocean floor showed no sign of crude billowing out of the crippled well.

But with BP's runaway well now responsible for the worst oil spill in history, economic and environmental devastation stretching across four US states, and the lessons learned from several earlier failed attempts to plug the gusher, any sense of celebration was seen as much too premature.

The disaster began when the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded on 20 April, killing 11 workers.
Barack Obama, who has suffered withering criticism for his handling of the disaster, was cautious. "I think it is a positive sign, we're still in the testing phase," he told reporters at the White House.

The new cap is at best a temporary solution. Allen said engineers might reopen the seal and collect the flow of oil, though he noted that a new improved containment facility would reduce the amount of crude fouling the Gulf. "It remains likely that we will return to the containment process using this new stacking cap connected to the risers," he said.

BP hopes it can prevent the flow of any more oil into the Gulf until it manages to intercept the well and seal it off permanently with heavy drilling mud and cement some time in August. Suttles told CNN the relief well was about 4ft away.
But the BP executive also acknowledged that the Gulf would be feeling the effects of the spill for some time – a thought voiced by several others. "This is like the very early stages of a bone marrow transplant," Ed Markey, the Massachusetts Democrat who is leading a congressional investigation into the environmental effects of the spill told CNN. "There is still a possibility that the well cannot, in fact, take this pressure, but we are all hoping and praying that it will."

Even if the well does hold, BP and the Obama administration acknowledge there will be tar balls washing up on the beaches of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida for months.
Cleansing sensitive Louisiana wetlands of oil could take several more months if not years, and marine biologists have warned that it could be decades before the full impact of the oil, and the dispersants used to break up the slick, is fully understood.

Aside from the cost to BP, which has spent more than $3bn (£2bn) on the cleanup, seen its share price plummet and had to set aside $20bn, the spill has caused widespread economic harm across the Gulf. Vast areas of water remain closed to fishing and there has been a rash of hotel cancellations during the school holiday season.
"This body has lost a lot of blood," Norm Coleman, a former Republican senator told CNN. "This is good news but that doesn't mean that the pressure is off."

Yesterday's success followed days of uncertainty about how the sealing cap would perform, and whether it could stop the oil without blowing a new hole in the well.

The administration put a 24-hour hold on BP's plans while it reviewed the risks of the operation.

who cares

Maybe you don't care because you don't know the importance of this success to reduce the possibility of enviromental disaster to the whole area. Next time if you see any thread that you don't care about please move on to the next thread.

Yeah I'm the stupid one, but if you care for the environment at least learn how to spell environment.

One minute you don't care and the next minute you're asking question about something you don't care about! Uko kama kinyonga!...Now you want to correct my spelling mistake lol! Nobody gave you permission to do so on this board.

I don't have time for you dude! If you don't care about what is going in the Gulf of Mexico then that is your business, but there are so many people all over the World who care about this issue.

Never argue with a fool. Someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Keep your negativity about this issue to yourself.

... something you don't care about! Uko kama kinyonga!... If you don't care about what

Never argue with a fool
... I don't have time for you dude!
I thought you don't have time for my stupidity. So I figured a smart aleck caring for the environment would know better than to pollute the word environment, don't you think? And it is not "care about." You would "care for." Might be better off using the language from your original environment, how about that?

A spill in the Gulf of Mexico, come on, who cares?

who cares
Yeah I'm the stupid one, but if you care for the environment at least learn how to spell environment.
I thought you don't have time for my stupidity. So I figured a smart aleck caring for the environment would know better than to pollute the word environment, don't you think? And it is not "care about." You would "care for." Might be better off using the language from your original environment, how about that?

Dude whats wrong with u??

Yes I don't have have time for your stupidity. I don't know where you're on this planet but this disaster will have a negative impact for many years to come.

English is my fourth language therefore I don't care at all about my spelling mistakes, You have my permission to correct all my spelling mistakes on this board on both official languages.

Umeonyesha upumbavu wa hali ya juu kwa swali lalo la kijinga na comment yako ya kipumbavu, who cares? Do you know how many billions were spent in order to find a solution to this disaster? Do you know how many people lost their jobs, maybe permanently due to this disaster....eh! You don't care! maybe there is nothing on this planet that you care about with exception of your stupidity. Go ahead, show how stupid you're.

Maybe you don't care because you don't know the importance of this success to reduce the possibility of enviromental disaster to the whole area. Next time if you see any thread that you don't care about please move on to the next thread.

Bubu pole sana, Sisi Watanzania mazingira sio issue kabisa pamoja na kuwa na vyombo kadhaa vinavyoshuhulikia mazingira. Ona issue ya North Mara ilivyochukuliwa. Ni kiongozi gani wa nchi aliyekwenda kuona athari za vitu vilivyotokea hebu nikumbushe. Ona watu na akili zetu tunavyosambaza plastiki tunaona sawa tu.

.. disaster will have a negative impact for many years to come.
Impact for many years, where?

Do you know how many billions were spent
Whose billions, BP's? Why should I care for them, do they?

Do you know how many people lost their jobs
Who, what people, where?

...kijinga na comment yako ya kipumbavu ... exception of your stupidity... how stupid you're... Yes I don't have have time for your stupidity...
You wanna think broader than to say "stupid" 400 times? I thought you don't have time. And here's another clue, brainiac: You can't say "Yes I don't..." Broken communication. How can you spread the message on protecting the environment if you can't get a sentence straight?

He he he. Taso naona unambana kweli Bubu leo. Mngekuwa uso kwa uso lazima mngerushiana ngumi. Mnaleta entertainment kweli.

Impact for many years, where?

Whose billions, BP's? Why should I care for them, do they?

Who, what people, where?

You wanna think broader than to say "stupid" 400 times? I thought you don't have time. And here's another clue, brainiac: You can't say "Yes I don't..." Broken communication. How can you spread the message on protecting the environment if you can't get a sentence straight?

While my spelling mistakes or ability to construct a straight sentence does not affect anyone on this planet, but it is a big deal to you and at the same time you don't give a damn about this environmental disaster of historic proportions which has afffected millions of people in one way or another all over the World.

If your statement that you "don't care" is true then you need to open your mind and eyes more and think outside the box in order to see the big picture of this historical environmental disaster.

...you don't give a damn about this environmental disaster of historic proportions

Du jour concerns in my environment are way beyond an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. There's crippling desertification of my environment, people are dying of brutal drought, we use leaded gasoline and asbestos is still legal, think I'm gonna give a hoot about a horsefly dying in the Gulf of Mexico? Heck, I want the flies to die, shoot. Care begins at home, you care first for what concerns you and your environment. You survey people from the country of the spill and you're not gonna get a 100% rate of concern. Think I will?

So, for registering my feelings that a spill in the Gulf of Mexico doesn't concern me that diagnoses "stupid" in your book. As an environmentally-minded person you should have taken my standpoint as a finding, that there are some people who just don't care about such issues and coolly inquire as to why.That's how you raise awareness, not by name-calling just because I thought the subject matter didn't matter to me. Be civil.

I'm confronting environmental calamities more devastating than a spill killing horseflies in the Gulf of Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom