Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Bolt resets his recent new 100m world record

Discussion in 'Sports' started by E=mcsquared, Aug 17, 2009.

1. E=mcsquared

E=mcsquared JF-Expert Member

Aug 17, 2009

Usain Bolt of Jamaica crosses the line to win the gold medal in the men's 100 Metres Final during day two of the 12th IAAF World Athletics Championships at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, Germany. Bolt set a new World Record of 9.58 seconds.

Photograph by: Andy Lyons, Getty

Usain Bolt became the first man to run the 100 metres in under 9.6 seconds Sunday when he set an astonishing new world record at the IAAF world track and field championships in Berlin.
    The Jamaican sprinter stopped the clock in 9.58 seconds, besting his previous mark of 9.69 set exactly one year ago at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. He had a slight wind at his back, but the breeze of 0.9 metres per second is well within regulations.
    “I just went out there and I was ready to execute and I did just that,” the 22-year-old told CBC after the race. “I was focused, I came out there and I executed.”
    American Tyson Gay, the 2007 world champion, was second in 9.71 and Jamaica’s Asafa Powell was third in 9.84.
    Gay had the fastest time in the world in 2009 heading into the meet at 9.77, but had been bothered by a groin injury heading into the worlds. Still his time of 9.71 was a new personal best and came close to matching Bolt’s Olympic record.
    “I’m disappointed to have lost the race, but I ran my fastest time,” Gay told reporters.
    At six foot five and 190 pounds, Bolt has redefined his sport with his long stride. He only takes about 40-41 steps to cover 100 metres, fewer than any of his competitors. Along with his size and speed, he’s also known for his calm demeanour. Racing in front of a sold-out crowd in one on the most hyped races in history, Bolt was calm entering the starting blocks.
    “I wasn’t worried,” he told CBC. “I do my worrying outside of competition. I have to worry during the season because it goes up and down, but come to a championship I know I’m ready, so no worries.”
    The rate at which Bolt has been breaking records is breathtaking. American Jim Hines was the first man to break the 10-second mark in the 100 metres using electronic timing at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico when he clocked 9.95 seconds. Since then the record has dropped incrementally until Bolt broke on the scene.
    Just two years ago Powell held the world record at 9.74 seconds. Bolt set his first world record in New York in May of 2008, clocking 9.72. He broke that mark and Beijing and could have gone even faster in the Olympic final had he not let up at the end to celebrate.
    Bolt went hard from start to finish Sunday and finished in a time that would have been unheard of as recently as a couple of years ago. But he believes he can go faster still.
    “For me anything is possible,” he told CBC. “I’ll just keep saying that. I’ll just go out and do my best and hopefully I can keep on doing great things and keep on breaking records.”
    Earlier Sunday, Bolt clocked 9.89 in winning his semifinal after being charged with the first false start of his career.
    Bolt won the gold medals in both the 100 metres and 200 metres in Beijing — both in world record time — and became the first man to achieve to win the sprint double at the Olympics in 24 years. He also helped Jamaica win gold in the men’s 4x100-metre relay.
    Now he can add world champion to his growing resume.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Source: http://www.theprovince.com/business/Bolt+sets+world+record+metres/1899364/story.html
  2. Teamo

Teamo JF-Expert Member

Aug 17, 2009
    we vipi bana?
    brekingi niuzi unazijua?
    hii imefanyika jana unaiita brekingi niuzi?