Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Blast hits Russia’s largest coal mine, 7 dead

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by MziziMkavu, May 9, 2010.

1. MziziMkavu

MziziMkavu JF-Expert Member

May 9, 2010
    4 workers injured, 66 others still underground four hours after explosion

MOSCOW - A methane blast at a Siberian coal mine killed at least seven people, Russian news agencies reported on Sunday. There were 312 workers in the Raspadskaya mine in the Kemerovo region when the blast occurred, Valery Korchagin, a regional emergencies official, told Rossiya-24 television.
    State-run RIA-Novosti news agency quoted Yelena Chernova, an emergencies ministry spokeswoman, as saying four workers were injured and 66 others were still underground four hours after the blast.
    The mine belongs to the company of the same name, Raspadskaya, Interfax reported. Raspadskaya, Russia's largest stand-alone coking coal producer, is part-owned by Evraz Group.
    Kemerovo is part of a coal-rich area of central Siberia called the Kuzbass.
    The blast occurred shortly before midnight as Russians geared up to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the World War Two defeat of Nazi Germany with a Victory Day military parade in Moscow's Red Square on Sunday.