Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Best novel

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by BelindaJacob, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BelindaJacob

BelindaJacob JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    JF!..

Najua tunapenda kusoma novels kujiburudisha na kupata mafunzo mbalimbali maishani mwetu.
    Je ni novel gani uliyoisoma imekuvutia mpaka sasa?Mtunzi wake?

2. Saikosisi

Saikosisi JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    the average american male a novel by chad kultgen

3. S

S. S. Phares JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance...you know who wrote it..!!

4. Sajenti

Sajenti JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Prodigal Daughter...by Geofrey Acher

5. BabaDesi

BabaDesi JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    ...The Godfather, Fools Die/Mario Puzo, Rage Of Angels/Sidney Sheldon, Roza Mistika/E.Kezilahabi, those are my favorites, not to forget The Bible, if you decide to read it as one big Novel!

6. Mpita Njia

Mpita Njia JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

7. Z

Zebaki Member

Mar 31, 2009
    1. Zenzele, A letter for my daughter by J. Nozipo Maraire
    This is a great story written by a Zimbabwean woman. This letter that a mother writes to her daughter who is in college talks about their family, tradition and culture. This book covers questions that you would want to ask your mother, it explains why adults make certain decisions for their children and explains the importance of upholding one's culture. I have learned a lot from this book and I highly recommend it.

2. Unbowed - by Prof. Wangari Maathai
    An autobiography of Prof. Maathai who won a Nobel Peace prize for her tree-planting (The Green Belt Movement) and prevention of deforestation in Kenya. Prof. Maathai talks about her life, The Greenbelt movement, the Kikuyu culture, pre and post colonial Kenya and it's impact on the environment. Another must read. I highly recommend this book.

Scarlet Song, by Mariama Ba
    This is a story of an inter-racial marriage, which touches on religion, culture and family. The setting is in West Africa, I cannot recall the country. This is one of those stories that you can read over and over again and never get bored.
    Another must read.

8. Kiranga

Kiranga JF-Expert Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Mazee unajua maana ya "novel"

Dreams From My Father ni Biography, particularly Autobiography ya Obama, si novel.

I am not much into fiction, but if you are into mysteries and rich detective stories Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never disappoints.He has the rare combination of timeless narration and classic style coupled with an educated, unbelievable imagination.

From East Africa, if you are looking for the authentic East African experience look no further than Agoro Anduru, he churned out "Temptations and Other Stories" "This is Living and Other Stories" back in the days I never missed him on Mfanyakazi, these were the days of Mutaza Lakha and transcripts of "Kesi ya Uhaini", way even before Stan Katabalo and James Nende, when Lusekelo was an up and coming writer for Daily/Sunday News these were literate writers not the hollow fartz excuses like the Shigongos. Of course you also have a whole host of Swahili writers from Zanzibar, and I am not merely talking about Shafi Adam Shafi

If your taste is on the world scene, especially it's chick lit/ feminist / gender issues check out "Riyadh Girls" an account of Saudi from the eyes of Americanised modern Saudi women.

Of course if you don't want anything thematically heavy or literally demanding you can always curl up with James Hadley Chase, his intrigue is characteristically uncharacheristic.

I used to enjoy Alex Hailey from "Wheels" "Hotels" and "Airport". If you really want a black author whose character out-Obamaded Obama before Obama was a community organizer check out "The Spook Who Stood by The Door", this guy was sharp, militant, fresh and hip without being a bore a USA Today writer hailed it as " one of the few uncompromised representations of black armed resistance in the United States"

I just realized I havent been reading my fiction as i used to.Too much nonfiction, especially biographies.

But perhaps that is just right, as Benjamin Disraeli said "Read no history: nothing but biography, for that is life without theory."

9. Nduka

Nduka JF-Expert Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Mafisadi wa Soko Huria - Chachage S. Chachage

10. D

Dina JF-Expert Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Baba Desi, nafikiri wewe ni 'mwenzangu' (kwa usomaji jamani)...Ila umenikumbusha mbali kweli na Roza Mistika! I remember when I was a little girl I used to read everything kilichonipitia mbele yangu...vitabu vya Hammie Rajab..miujiza ya mlima Kolelo, Sitaki, sijavunja ungo (huyo sijui alikuwa Kajubi Mukajanga), Somo kaniponza....vya Willy Gamba ndio usiseme....

All these were in my dad's mini library (some wazees bwana), siku aliyonibamba ninavisoma ndio aliponidondoshea kibano..alinizaba vibao viwili (if you happen to know cha kiganja na cha nyuma ya kiganja). Siku nikikuta 'library' haina toleo jipya, I turned to the bible...the old testament, manake kule ndio kumekaa kihadithi hadithi zaidi.....

11. BelindaJacob

Apr 1, 2009
    A painted house-John Grisham
    The best laid plans- Sidney Sheldon
    Wives&Lovers- Jane Elizabeth Varley

12. MwanajamiiOne

MwanajamiiOne Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2009
    The Ghost and the House by danniele Steel

13. Isimilo

Isimilo JF-Expert Member

Apr 1, 2009
    my best loved novels can be grouped in two parties most of them anyway I dont remember the tittle.

part one
    elementary novels.
    1. mabala the farmer
    2. walk alone
    3. Old Mali and the afraid boy.

part two
      intermediate English novel
      1. the great ponds
      2. things fall apart- Chinua Achebe
      3. the river between-Prof.Ngugi
      4. Mine Boys- Peter Abraham

Higher level novels
      follow me in Istanbul

swahili novels
      1. Safari ya msafiri
      2. Ndelawasi
      3. Mfalme ****

I like very much those books and I feel I could Not fail to smile when I figure out the themes in those novels by the time when I was still in each particular level I remember my childish age and I sigh.

14. Isimilo

Isimilo JF-Expert Member

Apr 1, 2009
    my best loved novels can be grouped in two parties most of them anyway I dont remember the tittle.

part one
    elementary novels.
    1. mabala the farmer
    2. walk alone
    3. Old Mali and the afraid boy.

part two
      intermediate English novel
      1. the great ponds
      2. things fall apart- Chinua Achebe
      3. the river between-Prof.Ngugi
      4. Mine Boys- Peter Abraham

Higher level novels
      follow me in Istanbul

swahili novels
      1. Safari ya msafiri
      2. Ndelawasi
      3. Mfalme ****
        Alfa ulela ulela

I like very much those books and I feel I could Not fail to smile when I figure out the themes in those novels by the time when I was still in each particular level I remember my childish age and I sigh.

15. BabaDesi

BabaDesi JF-Expert Member

Apr 1, 2009
    ...Thanks, Dina. Ila hivyo vya hammie Rajab na Kajubi na Musiba vya Willy Gamba Vilikuja baadae sana baada ya Roza Mistika. Hiki 'wenzake' Wa miaka ya mwisho ya sitini na mwanzoni mwa sabini walikuwa ni pamoja na 'Simu ya Kifo', 'Dunia Uwanja wa Fujo', 'Gamba La Nyoka', 'Titi la Mkwe', 'Kisima cha Giningi' n.k.....mmmmm, mbona umejihami haraka haraka kwamba ni mwenzangu 'kwa usomaji tu'?

16. BelindaJacob

Apr 1, 2009

How about 'Five days in Paris by Danielle Steel' very nice..

Yes,vingi ulivyovitaja tulisoma sec.school mambo ya literature..

17. BelindaJacob

Apr 1, 2009
    Especially Genesis, Exodus,Deuteronomy and leviticus plus others.

Na movies zake nyingi kama Moses and King David.

18. BelindaJacob

Apr 1, 2009
    BabaDesi bwana! Umeniacha hoi,Dina hakutaka upate mtazamo mwingine,ndo maana akajihami kabla..Atakujibu lakini:)

19. MwanajamiiOne

MwanajamiiOne Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2009
    By Danielle Steel;

Toxic Bachelors No Greater Love
    Impossible Daddy
    Johnny Angel Family Album
    Sunset in St. Tropez Full Circle
    Granny Dan Palomino
    Mirrow Image
    Special Delivery
    Silent Honor
    Malice

By John Grisham
    A Time to Kill
    The firm
    The Pelican Brief
    The Client ( Na Movie yake)
    The Runaway Jury
    The Partner
    The Street Lawyer
    The Testament
    The Brethren
    A Painted House
    The Broker

Vya kiswahili
    Najisikia kuua tena
    Hofu (Nyaso)
    Uchumi sikumbuki jina
    Tutarudi na Roho zetu
    Rosa Mistika

20. D

Dina JF-Expert Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Baba Desi nilikuwa najihami na mashambulizi kutoka kwa wasomaji ambao wangepata mapokeo tofauti...naona ni mambo ya kunguru mwoga.....

Back to the books, I had a feeling kuwa most of vitabu vya Elvis Musiba (na character wake Willy Gamba) were a bit like swahili versions of James Hadley Chase (ingawa sikumbuki hata title zake manake navyo vilikuwa vingi mno, anyways this is where I learned to read the novels plus the Mills and Boons)