Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Bernard Hopkins is world champion at 46

Discussion in 'Sports' started by m_kishuri, May 22, 2011.

1. m_kishuri

m_kishuri JF-Expert Member

May 22, 2011
    He becomes the oldest fighter to win a major world championship by beating Jean Pascal.

[​IMG]

MONTREAL - The old man is in the history books.

Philadelphia’s Bernard Hopkins, 46, captured the World Boxing Council and International Boxing Organization light-heavyweight championships with a unanimous 12-round decision against Laval’s Jean Pascal Saturday night before 17,560 Bell Centre spectators.

Hopkins avenged a majority draw the two fought to last December in Quebec City, although many at ringside that night believed Hopkins had won. But his undoing proved to be two early knockdowns he suffered, in the first and third rounds.

This time, with neutral officials, the victory was more clear-cut, albeit close.

Rey Danesco from the Philippines scored it 116-112. Italian judge Guido Cavelleri had it 115-113, while Thailand’s Anek Hongtongkam gave Hopkins a narrow 115-114 edge.

The Gazette also scored the fight 115-114 for Hopkins, who had a 10-year reign as middleweight champ and also held the IBO light-heavyweight crown.

There were no knockdowns in the rematch, although Pascal appeared to fade once again in the final half of the bout.

The animosity that was prevalent between the two on their publicity tour continued in the ring. Referee Ian John-Lewis was the busiest man in the ring, constantly separating the two and warning them for butts, wrestling and elbows.

But Hopkins was the more complete boxer on this night. He danced, peppered Pascal with jabs and clowned - sticking his tongue out at the former champ more than once. Before the seventh round, Hopkins did pushups while Pascal was getting one of his gloves wrapped.

“Bernard fought a great fight,” Pascal said. “He’s a great champ. He had a a really good defence and a lot of tricks. I’m a young fighter and I’m green. These two fights will lead me to the next level. I learned a lot from Bernard.”

Hopkins improved to 52-5-2, while the 28-year-old Pascal is now 26-2-1.

Hopkins becomes the oldest boxing champion in history with the win. George Foreman was 45 when he defeated Michael Moorer for the heavyweight crown in 1994.

Hopkins is expected to make his first defence against Chad Dawson. Dawson, the former WBC and International Boxing Federation light-heavyweight champ, scored a unanimous 12-round decision against Adrian Diaconu in a title eliminator.

Read more: Bernard Hopkins dethrones Jean Pascal, makes history

NB: Congratulation Bernard kwa ushindi wa jana. Kweli Age Ain't But a Number