Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Beer war across the border

Discussion in 'Biashara, Uchumi na Ujasiriamali' started by Geza Ulole, Jan 1, 2010.

1. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Jan 1, 2010
    UBL blocked from using beer bottle

By Walter WafulaPosted Wednesday, December 23 2009 at 00:00
    In Summary
    The court has temporarily restrained the beer company and its parent firm, East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), from using the long neck bottle, to package their beer products particularly President Special Edition Larger and President Extra Lager or any of their brands.

Kampala
    This Christmas festival may turn out to be less profitable for beer company Uganda Breweries Limited.
    This follows a decision by the High Court in Jinja, to stop the company from selling one of its beer brands in the long neck 500 millitre bottle, which is legally protected by beer rival Nile Breweries Limited (NBL).
    The court has temporarily restrained the beer company and its parent firm, East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), from using the long neck bottle, to package their beer products particularly President Special Edition Larger and President Extra Lager or any of their brands.
    The legal restriction, according to a notice issued in the press on Monday was effected on November 17 and holds until January 27, when the court will hear a complaint filed by Jinja-based Nile Breweries.
    The business conflict between the two beer giants was sparked off on November 5, when Nile Breweries, through a newspaper notice, warned beer distributors against vending beer products in the bottle, save for its Nile Special, Club Pilsner and Castle Milk Stout beers.
    The complainant, a subsidiary of South African Breweries (SABMiller), through its lawyers, further warned that whoever acts contrary to the warning, “shall be doing so contrary to the law and property rights” of Nile Breweries and shall be liable to prosecution.
    NBL has patented or legally protected the “uniquely designed” beer bottle by registering it as its trade mark– a label which distinguishes the goods or services of one company from those of another company under the Trade Marks Act of Uganda.
    NBL has also registered the bottle as an industrial design with the African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO) in Zimbabwe.
    In Uganda, Nile Breweries has protected the contested “Long Neck bottle” as Trade Mark No. 32118, under Class 32 of the Trade Mark Act.
    But in a mocking response to the Nile Breweries’ call, UBL urged its customers and the public to ignore the warning and proceed to buy their beer sold in long neck bottles.
    UBL said the bottle in the spotlight is generic and can be used by anyone.
    Mr Edwin Busuulwa a lawyer told Daily Monitor if a company is proven guilty of violating the property rights of another, it could be asked to pay damages awarded by a court depending on the outcome of evidence presented by the aggrieved party’s lawyers.
    In the latest notice, court has indicated that, “the cost of the injunction, “shall be the costs of the cause,” implying UBL could pay for acting contrary to court orders.
    “The guilty party can also be blocked from selling the product in the market,” Mr Busuulwa told this newspaper in an interview last month.

http://www.monitor.co.ug/Business/Commodities/-/688610/829210/-/view/printVersion/-/15omygl/-/index.html

2. PakaJimmy

PakaJimmy JF-Expert Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I never touch alcohols!
    This sounds good to me!

3. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Jan 1, 2010
    But is their fight good for business? where are the Fair Competition Authorities in EA?

4. eRRy

eRRy JF-Expert Member

Jan 1, 2010

Fill ur life with Happiness & Bright Cheer,
    Bring to u Joy and Prosperity for the whole Year,
    And its my New Year wish 4u Dear.
    Wish u a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

2010 is at the door
    Remember
    Life is short, break the rules,
    Forgive quickly,
    love truly,
    laugh uncontrollably,
    and
    never regret anything that made you smile.

Before the golden sun sets,
    2009's calender is destroyed,
    And mobile networks get jammed,
    I wish in 2010 every moment is enjoyed

Before 2009 ends.
    Let me thanks all the people like you.
    Who made 2009 beautiful for me.
    I pray you be blessed with fruitful year ahead.
    Happy New Year 2010

On the onset of new year
    sending you the warmest of wishes.
    Be always at war with your vices,
    at peace with your neighbors
    and let each new year
    find you a better man.

Year's end is neither an end
    nor a beginning
    but a going on,
    with all the wisdom
    that experience
    can instill in us.
    Happy New Year

New Year begins, let us pray,
    that it will be a year with new Peace,
    New Happiness, and abundance of new friends,
    God bless you through out the new Year.

With all the Roses Perfume
    & with all the lights in the world
    & with all the childrens Smiles
    I Wish U that ur all dreams comes True..
    *HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010*

5. Mpita Njia

Mpita Njia JF-Expert Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hongera sana kwa kudumisha klabu yetu