Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Barrick distances itself from alleged killings

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by BAK, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. BAK

    BAK JF-Expert Member

    Oct 26, 2008
    Joined: Feb 11, 2007
    Messages: 48,604
    Likes Received: 7,785
    Trophy Points: 280
    Barrick distances itself from alleged killings

    2008-10-26 14:35:37
    By Polycarp Machira

    Barrick Gold Corporation has distanced itself from the reported controversial eviction of small scale miners in 1996 from the Bulyankulu Gold Mine area in Kahama district and dismissed as mere fabrication allegations that some 54 of them were killed.

    Local and international human activists have since been alleging that the corporation is responsible for the atrocities in the mining area.

    And last week some religious leaders urged the government to conduct fresh investigations into the allegations.

    Reacting to the religious leaders, Barrick said during the period of the alleged killings, they had not started mining operations in the area, which was then under Sutton Resources and Kahama Mining Limited.

    ``Barrick had neither involvement whatsoever nor were we ``complicit`` in the removal of artisan miners from the Bulyanhulu site in 1996.

    ``Barrick did not acquire Sutton Resources until 1999. In fact, not a single artisanal miner was injured or killed when artisanal miners at Bulyanhulu were removed by the government in 1999,`` the company said in a statement.

    SOURCE: Sunday Observer