As abject poverty takes hold, ape meat catches on in Tanzania

According to the report he cites poverty is the cause of this. His article is a point of astonishment by the level of desperation that I know anyone here can see in this unusual act. The people themselves have said poverty is what has led to this. Beef is out of their reach and the only thing they can go for is monkey as the politicians wine and dine on steak.
I understand what he was trying to point out, what I am doing is to underline what he was not: personal preference, other innequalities etc. As Njabu Da Dute says he is too alarmist. To me, seem to sympathise more with the apes than the poor themselves. Why doesn't he talk about poverty in general? talking about poverty by questioning one of the dishes that go in the poor's plate is not the best way to stop politicians...

Hii mada imeniharibia kabisa hamu yangu ya kula. Nilikuwa nimekorofisha kiti faya sasa baada ya kuingia hapa na kusoma ikabidi nizame google kutafuta makala za watu kula nyani.
Sasa huko google nikakumbana na mipicha kibao ya nyama choma za nyani....and now my appetite is fcuked up. Damn it!!
Pole sana... Kwangu mimi sio rahisi kukatika appetite. Labda nione the real unusual things like a roasted human foetus (with persil in the nostril) of larvae kebabs. but hayo ya nyani, nyoka na mengineo I really don't mind. tena wataalam wanakwambia kicha na vidole ndio vina ladha yote. lol

Pole sana... Kwangu mimi sio rahisi kukatika appetite. Labda nione the real unusual things like a roasted human foetus (with persil in the nostril) of larvae kebabs. but hayo ya nyani, nyoka na mengineo I really don't mind. tena wataalam wanakwambia kicha na vidole ndio vina ladha yote. lol

I'm just too squeamish when it comes to these exotic delicacies. I know it's all in the head because at the end of the day when you really think about it, cow meat, goat meat, pork, etc., it's all skeletal muscle. The steaks, chops, and ribs that we eat are all skeletal muscle.

We humans have skeletal muscles too. And, we are all animals and we belong to the kingdom animalia. So, if you think deeply we are not all that different from some of these animals that we kill and eat.

Sasa kwa hoja yako hapo juu, una-sound kama mwandishi ambaye ni chanzo cha habari nzima kwenye thread hii. Kwa kifupi, unaishi kwenye njonzi. One or another social-economical phenomenon inayodaiwa kutokea Ludewa haimaanishi kwamba ndiyo mfano wa hali halisi iliyopo Tanzania nzima kwa ujumla.

Mwandishi wa makala rasmi ya gazeti yeye kazungumzia Ludewa na akaleta na ushahidi wake. Hayo ya Tanzania nzima hajayasema. Niliwahi kusoma makala nyengine inayosema wapo wauza nyama ambao hutumia nyama ya nyani, na kuziuza kama nyama ya mbuzi.

Mimi sijui kama ni kweli au la, ninachosema ni kuwa hainishangazi kuwa watu wanakula nyani hususan kama inapatikana kwa bei nafuu.

Sioni kwa nini watu waone ni kitu cha ajabu mno kuwa watu wameamua kula nyani wakati duniani watu wanalipa pesa kibao kula mafunza, konokono, kenge, mamba, mbwa, farasi, vyura, panya .....

*Tanzania tunakula panya, why is nyani so far fetched?

Mwandishi wa makala rasmi ya gazeti yeye kazungumzia Ludewa na akaleta na ushahidi wake. Hayo ya Tanzania nzima hajayasema. Niliwahi kusoma makala nyengine inayosema wapo wauza nyama ambao hutumia nyama ya nyani, na kuziuza kama nyama ya mbuzi.

Mimi sijui kama ni kweli au la, ninachosema ni kuwa hainishangazi kuwa watu wanakula nyani hususan kama inapatikana kwa bei nafuu.

Sioni kwa nini watu waone ni kitu cha ajabu mno kuwa watu wameamua kula nyani wakati duniani watu wanalipa pesa kibao kula mafunza, konokono, kenge, mamba, mbwa, farasi .....

Hilo la Tanzania nzima kuanza kula nyama ya nyani kutokana na hali ngumu kimaisha ilyopo hivi sasa, na hatimaye kufikia uamuzi kwamba idadi ya viumbe hawa itapunguka Tanzania nzima, ametoa Karl Lyimo, na obviously, ame-extrapolate, kwa sababu anaozijua mwenyewe, na kutumia nadharia tupu kutoka chanzo halisi cha habari hii, ambayo inaeleke ni kuhusu matumizi ya nyama ya nyani huko Ludewa, Mkoani Iringa, kama ilivyowekwa wazi hapo juu.

Sasa, nataka uniambie tokea lini nyama ya nyani ikawa "hot item" kwenye bucha za Dar, Arusha, Mwanza, Mbeya ama Iringa? Navyojua, hata samaki kama sato kutoka Mwanza wanauzwa kwenye groceries na bucha kibao Dar licha ya kwamba kuna Samaki kibao wa bahari ya Hindi wanaopatikana kiurahisi kwenye masoko ya samaki jijini na hata barabarani kwa wamachinga, achilia mbali wanyama kama mbuzi, kuku na ng'ombe.

I understand what he was trying to point out, what I am doing is to underline what he was not: personal preference, other innequalities etc. As Njabu Da Dute says he is too alarmist. To me, seem to sympathise more with the apes than the poor themselves. Why doesn't he talk about poverty in general? talking about poverty by questioning one of the dishes that go in the poor's plate is not the best way to stop politicians...

Not at all, he was alarmed by the fact that people have resorted to eating monkeys. Either way I respect your perspective but my opinion and your opinion should not cloud the fact that there are people who are being driven to this situation as a result of abject poverty. We should not focus on the messenger but the message at hand. Many will try to sugar coat this with tales of comparable exotic and toe tingling delicacies from the entire world but the difference is in Tanzania these people are driven by their inability to afford food and if the situation gets worse whats next? Dogs, cats, me?

I never, for the life of me, believed I'd ever see the day and age when some of my fellow Tanzania took to eating apes at the dinner table as a matter of course.

Alongside humans, monkeys, lemurs and tarsiers, apes are our fellow primates in the Animal Kingdom, the highest order of mammals this side of God's Heaven!

It's unbelievable that primates would stoop so low as to eat (other) primates ― not to be confused with archbishops, like the Archbishop of Canterbury, who's the Primate of All England! But, no matter...

What matters here's that the men (and women, to be politically correct!) who have resorted to eating apes are perforce doing this otherwise abominably 'undone' thing not because ape meat is a specialty, a delicacy ― like, say, caviar and champagne are viewed in the West, or a raw fish meal in The Land of the Rising Sun, Nippon!

The Tanzanians do this because ape-meat is cheaper than, say beef, poultry, pork, venison, fish... In other words, poverty has widened and deepened so much in Tanzania ― compounded by consumer prices beyond the rich of many ―that certain societal segments seek succour in ape meat!

The October 6, 2011 edition of the Kiswahili daily HabariLEO published the story in all its gory details. The report's title is 'Nyama ya nyani yatishia soko la ngombe:' ape-meat edges beef (and other 'traditional' meats) out of the market … Sheesh!

While a kilo of beef costs Sh6, 000-7,000 in Ludewa District (Iringa Region), a kilo of ape-meat sells for the relatively low price of Sh2, 000-3,000! A kilo of goat meat costs Sh6, 000, while a live chicken is sold for up to Sh15, 000! The ape-meat is passed off as 'goat' meat.

Would you believe that in a country which boasts around 20m head of cattle? Today, Tanzania is home to the second largest livestock herds in Africa, second only to Ethiopia (48m head)! Up until July 2011, Tanzania was the third, behind the Sudan (40m head) ―overtaking that country when Southern Sudan was hived off it!

Not even bigger economies like South Africa (15m head); Nigeria (17m) Kenya (18m) have bigger livestock herds than Tanzania. Yet, meat prices in Tanzania have finally driven ordinary Tanzanians into eating their anthropological relatives!

And, while this keeps wildlife poachers, skinners and traders in the money, ape-meat keeps the wolf from the doors of Ludewans, so to speak!

According to the Ludewa District Game Officer, it's impossible to lay hands on the poachers who are threatening the very existence of apes in the place. That's partly because of total lack of cooperation from the local communities who lean over backwards to protect their sources/procurers of a regular meat dish!

What I'd like to know is whether this burgeoning habit of feeding on our 'wild relatives' is confined to Iringa Region only, or it's happening in other 'wildlife rich' communities... And, what'll happen if and when the country runs out of apes?

At this consumptive pace, that's bound to happen ― unless and until the prevailing adverse socio-economic situation changes drastically in favour of ordinary Tanzanians!

But, if that doesn't happen ― and we run out of apes ― shall we then turn upon each other in the tradition of cannibalism in the true sense of the term: eating human flesh?

Not that we can ever escape cannibalism in the 'Ingersoll' sense... Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899) said 'although men (and women!) have largely stopped eating each other, they nonetheless still live on each other!'

This is especially in Africa and Tanzania, where the people live on alms, official and familial! Get the Big Pic? Cheers!

Source

Very important point he raises and anyone whose grammar is beyond basic comprehension knows he is not inferring that the entire nation is feasting on monkeys but uses a hypothetical question to highlight the severity. On the same note 'Tanzanians' in this article does not refere to the entire nation but he refers to those Tanzanians that have resorted to eating other primates due to poverty.

Hilo la Tanzania nzima kuanza kula nyama ya nyani kutokana na hali ngumu kimaisha ilyopo hivi sasa, na hatimaye kufikia uamuzi kwamba idadi ya viumbe hawa itapunguka Tanzania nzima, ametoa Karl Lyimo, na obviously, ame-extrapolate, kwa sababu anaozijua mwenyewe, na kutumia nadharia tupu kutoka chanzo halisi cha habari hii, ambayo inaeleke ni kuhusu matumizi ya nyama ya nyani huko Ludewa, Mkoani Iringa, kama ilivyowekwa wazi hapo juu.

Sasa, nataka uniambie tokea lini nyama ya nyani ikawa "hot item" kwenye bucha za Dar, Arusha, Mwanza, Mbeya ama Iringa? Navyojua, hata samaki kama sato kutoka Mwanza wanauzwa kwenye groceries na bucha kibao Dar licha ya kwamba kuna Samaki kibao wa bahari ya Hindi wanaopatikana kiurahisi kwenye masoko ya samaki jijini na hata barabarani kwa wamachinga, achilia mbali wanyama kama mbuzi, kuku na ng'ombe.

Karl Lymo ameuliza hivi

What I'd like to know is whether this burgeoning habit of feeding on our 'wild relatives' is confined to Iringa Region only, or it's happening in other 'wildlife rich' communities... And, what'll happen if and when the country runs out of apes?

Kwa hiyo yeye Karl Lymo hajasema kama hiyo tabia ipo Tanzania nzima. Alichofanya ni kuwa kufikiria kwa siku za usoni, iwapo tabia hiyo itazoeleka kuanzia Ludewa na kusambaa sehemu nyengine

Very important point he raises and anyone whose grammar is beyond basic comprehension knows he is not inferring that the entire nation is feasting on monkeys but uses a hypothetical question to highlight the severity. On the same note 'Tanzanians' in this article does not refere to the entire nation but he refers to those Tanzanians that have resorted to eating other primates due to poverty.

Easier said than done. Common sense has it that dog and cat meat would have been a more easily accessible and cheaper alternative to protein than monkey meat. Leave alone freely available, and equivalently edible wild life meat in the form of antelope, boars, and a wide variety of birds and myriad other creatures out there in the wild.

Easier said than done. Common sense has it that dog and cat meat would have been a more easily accessible and cheaper alternative to protein than monkey meat. Leave alone freely available equivalent to edible wild life meat in the form of antelope, boars, and a wide variety of birds and myriad other creatures out there in the wild.

Yes! The fact they resorted to eating monkeys is then even more alarming and a case for the improvement of their social economic status. The people themselves have stated it is poverty that has driven them to monkey so let us not monkey around this point.

“Tunaomba Mungu wanyama hawa waendelee kuwepo katika mapori yetu kwa sababu sisi tusio na uwezo wa kununua nyama ya ng’ombe na mbuzi, tutaendelea kuila nyama ya nyani,” alisema mmoja wao.

Alisema nyama hiyo imekuwa ikiuzwa kwa kati ya Sh 2,000 na 3,000 kwa kilo wakati ile ya ng'ombe inauzwa kwa kati ya Sh 6,000 na Sh 7,000.

Wild assertions of possible cannibalism in this piece simply make me wonder where these journalists get their education, or is he/she simply a couch journalist needing to fill a column in the paper? Can't he/she see that would be an almighty jump for a protein fix? In hunger-torn parts of the world there has never been a mention of people resulting to this behavior, why then would it be easier for Tanzanians to do it.

Why the angle of archbishops in this piece, or did he/she simply feel the urge to insult the person in particular?

my comment again, "Damn, someone actually pays these journalists for their half cooked doodle..."

I never, for the life of me, believed I'd ever see the day and age when some of my fellow Tanzania took to eating apes at the dinner table as a matter of course.

Alongside humans, monkeys, lemurs and tarsiers, apes are our fellow primates in the Animal Kingdom, the highest order of mammals this side of God's Heaven!

It's unbelievable that primates would stoop so low as to eat (other) primates ― not to be confused with archbishops, like the Archbishop of Canterbury, who's the Primate of All England! But, no matter...

What matters here's that the men (and women, to be politically correct!) who have resorted to eating apes are perforce doing this otherwise abominably 'undone' thing not because ape meat is a specialty, a delicacy ― like, say, caviar and champagne are viewed in the West, or a raw fish meal in The Land of the Rising Sun, Nippon!

The Tanzanians do this because ape-meat is cheaper than, say beef, poultry, pork, venison, fish... In other words, poverty has widened and deepened so much in Tanzania ― compounded by consumer prices beyond the rich of many ―that certain societal segments seek succour in ape meat!

The October 6, 2011 edition of the Kiswahili daily HabariLEO published the story in all its gory details. The report's title is 'Nyama ya nyani yatishia soko la ngombe:' ape-meat edges beef (and other 'traditional' meats) out of the market … Sheesh!

While a kilo of beef costs Sh6, 000-7,000 in Ludewa District (Iringa Region), a kilo of ape-meat sells for the relatively low price of Sh2, 000-3,000! A kilo of goat meat costs Sh6, 000, while a live chicken is sold for up to Sh15, 000! The ape-meat is passed off as 'goat' meat.

Would you believe that in a country which boasts around 20m head of cattle? Today, Tanzania is home to the second largest livestock herds in Africa, second only to Ethiopia (48m head)! Up until July 2011, Tanzania was the third, behind the Sudan (40m head) ―overtaking that country when Southern Sudan was hived off it!

Not even bigger economies like South Africa (15m head); Nigeria (17m) Kenya (18m) have bigger livestock herds than Tanzania. Yet, meat prices in Tanzania have finally driven ordinary Tanzanians into eating their anthropological relatives!

And, while this keeps wildlife poachers, skinners and traders in the money, ape-meat keeps the wolf from the doors of Ludewans, so to speak!

According to the Ludewa District Game Officer, it's impossible to lay hands on the poachers who are threatening the very existence of apes in the place. That's partly because of total lack of cooperation from the local communities who lean over backwards to protect their sources/procurers of a regular meat dish!

At this consumptive pace, that's bound to happen ― unless and until the prevailing adverse socio-economic situation changes drastically in favour of ordinary Tanzanians!

But, if that doesn't happen ― and we run out of apes ― shall we then turn upon each other in the tradition of cannibalism in the true sense of the term: eating human flesh?

Not that we can ever escape cannibalism in the 'Ingersoll' sense... Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899) said 'although men (and women!) have largely stopped eating each other, they nonetheless still live on each other!'

This is especially in Africa and Tanzania, where the people live on alms, official and familial! Get the Big Pic? Cheers!

Source

Wewe muandishi kanjanja kula nyama ya nyani si umaskini.... ni utamaduni. Mbona Congo wanakula sokwe, China wanakula nyoka, chura na konokono, sisi tunakula kitimoto na wenzetu uarabuni ni mwiko, mtwara na lindi wanakula panya, wanasema samaki nchanga... kula nyani haina uhusiano na umaskini...

Wewe muandishi kanjanja kula nyama ya nyani si umaskini.... ni utamaduni. Mbona Congo wanakula sokwe, China wanakula nyoka, chura na konokono, sisi tunakula kitimoto na wenzetu uarabuni ni mwiko, mtwara na lindi wanakula panya, wanasema samaki nchanga... kula nyani haina uhusiano na umaskini...

Maybe poverty is tradition to you but the people who have resorted to eating this meat clearly state it is poverty that has driven them to eating monkeys.

"Tunaomba Mungu wanyama hawa waendelee kuwepo katika mapori yetu kwa sababu sisi tusio na uwezo wa kununua nyama ya ng'ombe na mbuzi, tutaendelea kuila nyama ya nyani," alisema mmoja wao.

Alisema nyama hiyo imekuwa ikiuzwa kwa kati ya Sh 2,000 na 3,000 kwa kilo wakati ile ya ng'ombe inauzwa kwa kati ya Sh 6,000 na Sh 7,000.

..mbona MUNGIKI wanakunywa DAMU lakini hampigi kelele?

..wanaokula nyani wanafanya hivyo kutokana na maisha magumu.

..sasa hawa WAKENYA wanaokunywa DAMU ya binadamu wenzao wamelazimishwa na kitu gani zaidi ya UKATILI?

Sioni kwa nini watu waone ni kitu cha ajabu mno kuwa watu wameamua kula nyani wakati duniani watu wanalipa pesa kibao kula mafunza, konokono, kenge, mamba, mbwa, farasi, vyura, panya .....

*Tanzania tunakula panya, why is nyani so far fetched?
Tatizo linakuja pale mwandishi anapohusisha ulaji wa nyama ya nyani na umaskini wa Watumiaji wa aina hiyo ya nyama. Na siyo hilo tuu, bali anaenda mbele zaidi na kukidai eti hii itachangia kushusha idadi ya viumbe nyani Tanzania, presumption ikiwa kwamba trend hii ya kula nyama ya nyani itaenea nchi nzima sababu ya umaskini wa Watanzania wasiyoweza ku-afford nyama ya mbuzi na ng'ombe.

Maybe poverty is tradition to you but the people who have resorted to eating this meat clearly state it is poverty that has driven them to eating monkeys.

Wewe umeng'ang'ania hiyo habari ambayo hujui ukweli wake halisi (sambamba na armchair journalist Karl Lyimo uliyebandika makala yake hapo juu). Jiulize kwa nini nyama ya nyani ni bei rahisi ukilinganisha na nyama ya mbuzi au ng'ombe? Na vinginevyo, kwa nini mtu aamue kwenda msituni kuwinda nyani wakati mbwa, paka, panya ni bure ukilinganisha na nyani?

Hivi tangu lini kula game meat ikawa tatizo tena especially ktk jamii za wawindaji...habari nyingine bana...:A S 13:

jemeni mandugu zetu wameanza kula nugu,sokwe na nyani?? tunaweza kuwasaidia aje kama majirani na ndugu wema?

Back
Top Bottom