Are you Patriotic?

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Are you Patriotic?
BBC News Online

President Bingu wa Mutharika is angry at critical Malawian bloggers who he accuses of being unpatriotic for censuring his government.

The Kenyan government last year rolled out ''I am proud to be a Kenyan'' campaign to encourage young people to be more patriotic.

In the sports world men and women who have switched nationalities have often been accused of betraying their country of birth.

What does it mean to be patriotic? Can you criticise your government and still be a patriot? Have you been torn between your country and conscience?

If you would like to join Africa Have Your Say to debate this topic LIVE on air on Thursday 8 November at 1600 GMT, please include a telephone number. It will not be published. You can also send an SMS text message to +44 77 86 20 20 08.

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:36 GMT 18:36 UK

To be patriotic is to be loyal and devoted citizen. When you are patriotic, your loyalty and devotion is to your country not to the government. If government actions are not in the interest of my country and my people, I aught to stand up and determined to provide constructive criticized.

Yes, I would be torn between my country and my conscience if I failed to speak out to the truth and, if my criticisms are driven by wrong motives. Thus, positive criticism and patriotism goes together.

Seifu Mehari, Silver Spring, USA

As ivoirian i believe it is important to remain ivoirian wherever i live. Because if africa's children become english, french or american, the very countires that need africa to be seen as poorest with all its natural ressources, who will be african and work to develop it. Being patriotic is to believe from within that my country will develop in the image of those that keep us down. Being patriotic is to be proud of my country and seek for ways to uplift it whatever i do and wherever i go.

Youdre, boston

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:35 GMT 18:35 UK

Ooooh sure, Iam such a proud man to be Zambian.We have to be patriotic to our country that educated us with meager financial resources.If leaders are making mistakes, we have to live with them and make necessary steps to correct the situation.No strugglle takes a short time, we are struggling but we shall get there on day

Europeans did not leave Europe during the European wars.It is better to die in the hands of Zambians living in poverty than die in luxurious life away from Zambia.

phiri chidongo, cork, Ireland

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:33 GMT 18:33 UK

On a recent visit to Houston Texas, I came across two young men at a bar wearing beaded jewelry bearing the Kenyan flag colours. I thought, 'How patriotic!' I introduced myself, and in the course of our conversations, they informed me that they were Kenya Army and Navy deserters recently recruited by a US contractor to fight in Iraq. It was better pay than their former employer. It left a bad taste in my mouth. But who I'm I to judge? I am a proud Kenyan ... living abroad.

Francis Muli, ottawa, Canada

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:18 GMT 18:18 UK

I am proud to have the right to express myself freely, which includes the right to criticise government - something I do often. I suppose I must be patriotic, then.
Surely any government that denies its people (its employers) that right must have a lot to hide.

[Major_Bloodnok]

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:17 GMT 18:17 UK

I am critical of my country because I am patriotic. An adult who says everything the child does is great, doesn't try to improve anything and accepts the childs view on every social situation is usually not the good parent. I am critical of myself, my children, my country because I believe in them, that they are worthy and must always strive to be better. People who say 'don't criticise the country' are false patriots, not democratic But don't blame governments for everything.

Nina Szombately, Vienna

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:13 GMT 18:13 UK

To pay the prices is as assumed to be one resource of the all thing . that is patriotic.

yacob, frnkfurt

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 18:03 GMT 18:03 UK

Most of us in Africa think money is everything.Some work for foreign countries to destroy their own country, just because of money. Well i don't blame them. if my country treats its heroes with disrespect and contempt, how will that encourage me to die for my country. Have we forgotten the saying "A nation that does not honor its heroes is not worth dying for? Africans, let us respect our own.

Daniel Bassah, Legon-Ghana

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:59 GMT 17:59 UK

The question should be - Are you patriotic enough to criticize the misdeeds and corruption of your government and do something about it? The banners, the clothes or the residence don't make one patriotic. But again, todays world is more Globalized than ever and everyone deserves a better life. None of the governments is doing much for their citizens anyways. Politics is lame. In Lennon's words - Imagine there's no country...

P S, CT, United States

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:55 GMT 17:55 UK

Patriotism is not only when a man shout slogan in support of his country, nor when a man quietly takes all that is coming to him.

Patrioticism in my understanding is when a man stand for the truth, in good or bad situation in support of his mother land. That also include standing up to your govt when a bad policy is instituted.

Sylvester Simon, Bissau

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:55 GMT 17:55 UK

I LOVE this country! If I didn't love it so much I wouldn't despise what the government are doing to it so much. How does that make me unpatriotic? What IS unpatriotic is demanding mindless loyalty from your subjects, and silencing those who might bring to light the lack of care a leader shows for the welfare of their nation.

Rachel, Brighton

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:52 GMT 17:52 UK

In a mature country people are allowed to dislike the government yet will still love their country. This is not a contradiction.

For any government to equate themselves with that intangible, a nation, is disingenuous and even dishonest. A government comprises a few persons rarely motivated by anything other than self-advancement; a nation is a homogenous mass of aspirations, ambitions and, too often, disillusionment.

[elfandsafetypro]

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:51 GMT 17:51 UK

I think true patriotism is the freedom and ability to openly criticize our governments when they do not live up to the expectations of those who elected them, and to praise them when they do well. The motive of a democratic government is to serve its people, and we cannot sing praise songs where they have not been deserved. It is unpatriotic to remain silent to the evils of our governments, and we are not obliged to praise them if they haven't merited it in the first place.

Joseph Kaifala, Saratoga Springs, NY

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:46 GMT 17:46 UK

Criticism of the government is the right of every individual in a democratic system.

This has nothing to do with being patriotic. In fact quite the reverse. If you don't criticize or actively challenge decisions your government makes, you are basically saying "I don't care".

[ArtsyArtsy]

Added: Wednesday, 7 November, 2007, 17:46 GMT 17:46 UK

being patriotic is standing up for the values and creed of the society you live in or ar born into.

[sammon8], london, United Kingdom

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=3795&edition=2&ttl=20071108023704

Back
Top Bottom