Are you 18? You can run for president

MaxShimba

JF-Expert Member
Apr 11, 2008
By OLIVER MATHENGEPosted Tuesday, November 24 2009 at 22:00

Someone fresh from secondary school can now legally run for presidency under the proposed constitution as long as he/she has attained 18 years of age.

They will, however, need to meet the requirement of being members of Parliament.

This move by the Committee of Experts gives a new twist to an issue that has rocked the country since independence.

Less than a year ago, Igembe South MP Mithuka Linturi said he had prepared a Bill seeking to bar anyone aged above 65 years from running for presidency.

The move was viewed by some as aimed at locking out Prime Minister Raila Odinga, the most preferred presidential candidate according to opinion polls. Mr Odinga will be 67 years old in 2012 and is among those eyeing the presidency.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/-/1064/803238/-/wuv58jz/-/index.html

I'm assuming this is from Kenya right mkuu? Well they can even say a 16 year old can run for president but I don't think it will make much difference. Before you can become president you have to gain some experience, build connections etc. It is impossible for one to do all that by 18 years of age. Tanzania yenyewe the minumum age for running for president is 35 if I'm not mistaken but How many 35 year olds or even 40 year olds for that matter do we see running for president? Or end up actually winning the presidency?

Ila I must admit I like the idea of having a maximum age for running for presidency and I think 65 is a good age. The only person who would be allowed to run past that age would be the incumbent seeking a second term in office.I know some will disagree with me but I think Tanzania should consider that also.

Back
Top Bottom