Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Are we ready for EAC-Common Market?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Bongolander, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bongolander

Bongolander JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    The government has said that it is well prepared to overcome the challenges which may arise under the East African Common Market if the agreement is signed this year.

East African Cooperation deputy minister Mohamed Abood gave the remarks here on Tuesday when he met with stakeholders including businesspeople, religious leaders, politicians and some financial institutions.
    He said the approval of the custom union by member countries has led to great achievements including increase of local revenue collection and investment.

Abood however allayed fears voiced by many Tanzanians about losing their land and employment, saying the government has taken all precautionary measures to contain the situation.

“The government is taking all possible precautionary measures before the agreement is signed …our country also has experience through the Union between the Mainland and Zanzibar,” the minister said.

He said if things go smoothly the agreement for the common market will be signed in November this year by the heads of state and taken to the national assemblies of the respective countries on January next year for approval.

Abood said that, the government through his ministry has set aside funds for educating people about the responsibilities of his ministry.He however said that common market was crucial for the achievement of economic growth and poverty reduction goals.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

Statements shows that our fears are justified, we are selling our selves to Kenya at a throw away price. I have not seen any measures taking by the government to prepare the country for common market challenges.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009

''The goverment is taking precautionary measures to ensure that Tanzania is not handed the shorter end of the stick''
    , at least your government is looking into things, I have not heard our corrupt leader say anything about the EAC, maybe Kenya will be played this time round gauging from all the bickering and the mistrust in goverment.

The truth is if the goverments have the welfare of their countries in mind before signing anything, then this community will serve as an example for all of Africa to unite and progress, we have alot to gain, but that doesnt mean we should venture with our eyes closed.

3. Bongolander

Aug 20, 2009
    Some of us here in TAnzania do not see it that way. The government has not done anything significant to address the problems which result to the demise of the former EAC. Kenya still has upper hand and still has the edge in dictating the terms.
    Angalia kwenye duka lolote hapo Nairobi uniambie ni bidhaa ngapi zimetengenezwa TAnzania, mimi hapa Tanzania kila wiki kati ya bidhaa 10 ninazonunua 7 au 8 ni kutoka Kenya. Huo ni mfano mdogo tu.
    If you look at labour skills you will see that employers feel much more comfortable working with Kenyans than Tanzanians (for obvious reasons that i agree with), now you are telling me Common market? really? will it be common or Kenyan market?

4. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Let me politely ask, what SPECIFICALLY do you want your government to do so that you can feel safe with this union, which steps (of which they have not already taken) should they take to safe guard the Tanzanian consumer and Industries from further exploitation.

One main aim of this community is to expand the market for goods produced within our region i.e. East Africa, and make trading within the countries easy and thus reduce the cost of goods and services, therefore reducing poverty by making most goods and services accessible to almost all consumers. I use Tanzanian products, though they are not many in the shelves, but there has been a rapid increment in the number of Tanzanian goods in the Kenyan market, and this will increase once we fully implement the community.

5. Bongolander

Aug 20, 2009
    Our government has not done enough to get the country ready to utilize the EAC market, but it has done a lot to make the country a market for Kenyan industrial products (even labour and area for investment). Apart from cigarattes that we export to Kenya and few drinks, there is no much that we are exporting, and we will are not yet capable of doing so in the near future. Kenya is exporting labour, capital and commodities as well. You can not imagine Kenya is among three big foreign investors in Tanzania, but what have we invested in Kenya? apart from few chagga petty traders in Nairobi. Or Can you tell me who are the top foreign investors in Kenya and see whether Tanzania is among three. Then you will know what am i trying to say.

My point is we have to do it step by step, we first have to appreciate the economic realities in our countries before political interests of few people in Dar es salaam, or those in Nairobi who keep on saying it will prove to the world that we can do something.

6. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    So in a way you are trying to say that the community should wait untill all the 5 countries are at par (Trade wise) so that we can unite, no matter how long this takes?
    Please allow me to use Rwanda as an example, this is a country which is still recovering from a genocide that led to the massacre of a lot of its people, and its on a fast lane to economic recovery, its president has full support for the federation, to an extent that Kenyans dont even need permits to work in Rwanda, same case applying to Rwandans working in Kenya. I have never seen a product manufactured in Rwanda on our supermarket shelves, yet they are more than willing to open their borders for more business, president Kagame cant just open his borders without knowing for a fact that his country will benefit by a large extent from the community.

7. K

KiboGold New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    We are at risk in terms of education and crime rate. Look at all crimes that have occured in Tanzani in large banks. In adiidtion, Tanzaniana are not used to quarals and other inhuman issues undertaken in Uganda Kenya and even in Rwanda and Burundi. Hiyo imekulwa kwetu.

8. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Hizi si sababu tosha zakufanya tu tupilie mbali muungano huu, the benefits to be reaped will simply cancell out those fears that you have like tribalism and the land issue.

We are more than ready for a common market and the full fleged operational community, we know there will be bumps before we achieve the ultimate goal, but eventually we will reach the goal.

9. Bantugbro

Bantugbro JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    It is time now we stop giving these type of reasons to justify separation with our brothers. Can someone tell me how many graduates/Wasomi we (Tanganyika) did have during the formation of the firts EAC?.

IMHO there will be no perfect time to intergrate than this, taking consideration that Kenya is still struggling with its endless internal issues. Tukisubiri wamalize matatizo yao tutawaweza kweli?

Mbona vijana wasomi wakitanzania wanaouwezo mzuri tu mifano ipo tele. Naomba tuachane na hisia za uogauoga wa kushindana hii dunia kamwe haitatusubiri eti tuamke kwanza.

Jamani, Watanganyika ujasiri wetu unaotambulika duniani kote toka enzi za ukombozi wa bara hili na hata wakati waku-mn'goa nduli umekwenda wapi???

Mwanaume unatakiwa ukaze msuli upambane kwa namna yeyote ile. Sisi wa EAC tunashindana lakini tunategemeana sana (Co-opetite), opportunities ziko pande zote ni suala la kuamka, kuzi-identify na kuchapa kazi.

Amani.

10. PatPending

PatPending JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Sisi waTanzania ni kulia lia tu, kama sio ardhi basi ni ushindani wa kibiashara, halafu ukija huko kuna wale wanaolia ya kuwa biashara Tanzania zimetawaliwa na watu wenye asili ya KiAsia. Hivi sisi tunafikiri tunaishi dunia hii wenyewe? Kama ni halifu upo kote kote. Naamini ya kwamba kuna sheria na mamlaka husika ya kusimamia vitu kama hivi.

Just out of interest, say the "land" issue was to be dropped from the protocol, would the hesitancy still be there?

I am sick and tired of us pointing the finger at others when we really should be more than concerned about the other fingers pointing at us.

11. M

MzalendoHalisi JF-Expert Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Rwanda ni landloked! hawakohoi kwa Tz au Kenya! Inabidi wabembeleze tu!

Sioni cha ajabu Rwanda!

12. Bongolander

Aug 21, 2009
    They may seem minor because some in EAC are used to them. Hapa TAnzania bado hatujazoea kuishi kijeshi, kihalifu na katika hofu hata benki zetu kwa muda mrefu tulikuwa tunalinda kwa virungu, all heists that are taking place in Tanzania are originated across our borders. Hata mambo ya kuanza kuwa katika makundi sasa tumeimport. Ni mambo madogo sana ikilinganishwa na faida inayoweza kupatikana kutokana na kuwa wanachama wa EAC.
    BUt like i said before, Tanzania is not well prepared to tap on the EAn market, it is ready to be the market of other countries Kenya in particular. This worries me much.

13. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Never thought of it that way (as in Rwanda is in it for the ports), but am sure that's not the only reason Rwanda is particularly eager to join the EAC.

Someone had asked in a previous post, 'if the land issue was not there, would Tanzanians accept the EAC?', because if you come to think about it, most of the people who are opposed to the community are not willing at any time (even in the near future) to let go of their belief that they are selling their countries to other EA countries, Kenya in particular.

What is so wrong with the community that most of us who support it are not noticing, maybe there are things that I am overlooking which are crucial to what this federation will become in future.

Lets try and ignore the unfounded theories that Kenya will export crime, tribalism, corruption, materialism and arrogance. Its not that after agreeing on the community, we will pack our bags and head straight to Tanzania or other Ea countries for that matter to buy land and take over the country, no, we have our own countries (that we love so much) to build. This is all business and it will benefit all of us, not just the goverments, but me and you as citizens of the East Africa Community. May Allah bless our countries.

14. Juma Contena

Juma Contena JF-Expert Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I think most people in here including me are not against the EAC, but the thing that worries the most especially Tanzanians. Its the people who are selling the idea to us, they are not fully elobarative of the benefits of that union, ie. what is everyone giving up and what we should expect and what sort of measures, they think will work to benefit us all. May be not equally, but still impove each country's situation.

Personally that is where i struggle at the moment. Why because its this same fools in Tz today that went and privatise our transport sector TRA for better service yet to date they are still coughing up wages and money to help the same privatised company in the tune of 40 billion T/sh apart from that, many companies that thought they could rely on that service for transport of their goods have figured out, its pointless has its since got worse, still offering poor service and and unreliable. We have also messed up our Bandari with so many ridiculous charges and poor services that many of our neighbours think its better going those extra, i dont know 700 or 1000 miles to Mombassa than use that shit port In Dar-es-Salaam. They know nothing about running anything, they cant even improve the social structure, Tanznania relies on imported goods, they have made that Bandari the source, where those main goods arrive a nightmare, you go to Tz so many things that could have been even cheaper are still overpriced, because most people are deterred from sending anything there due to that mess. Now you tell me if this peole dont know how to run the main door way of their country, one of the crucial part of the developing world, how do you trust them negotiating your social lives.

I believe this is why the Kenyan government is pushing hard already It knows they have got them somewhere where Kenya or Kenyans will benefit alot, from the dumbass of our leaders negotiating skills and this is why Kenya can not wait for the EAC to begin or else why would they be so pushy, whats the rush if we're in for long term commitment or for life.

So this is our worry as we only get to hear the selling lines, that is the EAC is one way of improving our social problems and fighting poverty. The terms of achieving those goal are still a mystery. So we are left to think of what we may loose by joining the Union, and the social problems it may or may not bring with it, i think anyone with common sense would question the unknown. Considering they have yet to tell us ways we're going to improve that situation or even that is a government secret.

Never the less I too think its the only way forward for our countries but let them bring those terms and plans first into the public because personally i do not trust this politicians esp in Tanzania with fake qualification, putting these people in the negotiating table they're going to be out-witted esp where a Mkikuyu is involved.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  15. J

JokaKuu Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2009
    ..the problem is that we are being drilled to believe that Tanzania can not attain her development goals without joining the EAC.

..Tanzania imports a lot frm Kenya, I think they are our largest importers of industrial products. there is a free movement of Capital btn the two countries-- we have Bakhresa investing in Kenya, and Athi Cement investing in Tanzania.

..if Kenyans managed to build their industrial base without being in the community, why do we believe that Tanzanian can not do the same?

..the way I see it is that all our neighbors want a piece of Tanzania. Kenyans and Ugandans want a share of the market due to the large population that we have. Rwanda is overpopulated and wants some of her people[read HUTUS] to migrate to Tanzania.

..then there is a free movement of labor protocal that Tanzanians are objecting to. for most of them it is because of lack of confidence to compete with Kenyans in the job market.

..I oppose free movement of labor in EA because of Kenyans tribal tendencies. hawa WAKENYA hata kama uko qualified and you have followed all the rules and procedures watakufanyia visa sababu ya UKABILA wao. Waganda are also no different frm Kenyans. we had very bad experiences with them during Kagera war.

..there is a lot I could say as to why we dont need EAC community, wacha niishie hapa.

16. Kinyambiss

Kinyambiss JF-Expert Member

Aug 21, 2009
    The issue with Tanzania is that the level of production in agriculture, industrial products and services is soo low that we cant even satisfy our own market therefore expanding the market is not in our interest at this time. Unfortuantely our idiot governement has failed to recongnise this, and if they have then are simply unwilling to act upon it. We first need to improve our general education and vocational training (and I mean on a WAR-effort scale) so that our labour force is improved and thus able to survive in the market; secondly we need to invest heavily in agriculture, even use legislation to force people to produce more food... this liberalism is bullshit because we have no foundation; we then need to create a system of semi-processing goods from our gems, to our agro produce; get more investment into our naturan gas so that our production costs go down; properly facilitate local investment in tourism and efficent management of that sector. It is stupid to form an economic union with a country like Kenya who has openly advertised to foreigners that they should go to Kenya and 'see mount kilimanjaro'

And ofcourse since we Tanzanians are not prone to civil war, we are not willing to open the floodgates to allow a 'nation' of self-hating peoples to enter our borders and take our land when they themselves still suffer from acute tribalism. It would be derailing our own future.
    There are just not enough incentives in this whole EA thing for Tanzania to even be in it. We should have allowed the other states to proceed with it while we organize ourselves internally and build our nation by ourselves. Internal programmes first then we could consider this whole thing.

What is funny is that in Tanzania there are more natural resources and land than all the other states... labda DRC waingie! We DONT NEED the EAC is BULL!

17. K

Koba JF-Expert Member

Aug 21, 2009
    sometimes najiuliza kama wabongo ni wazima au wendawazimu tuu,yaani kila kitu kwao lazima waje ni visababu visivyo na maana kabisa ili mradi tuu waonekane wanajua...mnachosha sana labda mkitukanwa ndio mtaelewa!

18. B

Bob Nash Member

Aug 21, 2009
    mi naona wanaongeza matatizo tu, nchi zao wameshindwa kuboresha masoko ya ndani na kutengeneza mipango endelevu ya muda mrefu na mfupi, sidhani kama kitu kama soko la jumuia wataweza kuliendesha, mimi nadhani wangeongeza uzalishaji kwanza, wakaweka serikali zenye mlengo wa maendeleo mengine yangefuata, ila hapo upuuuzi mtupu!

19. K

Koba JF-Expert Member

Aug 21, 2009
    ...hivi kuna tatizo gani mkulima wa lindi akipewa uwezo wa kuuza mahindi yake kenya au uganda bila kulipa kodi yeyote,na huo uzalishaji uatongezeka kama soko lipo...nyie watu someni hiyo common market kabla ya kuja na vitu msivyovielewa!

20. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Kinyambiss,
    i really liked your drop, but the question I kept asking myself while reading your post
    is, do you want your country to be industrialised before joining the EAC, coz we all have our probs as developing countries which are not country specific as you are trying to potray.
    All that stuff about KE being tribalistic and the played out land and kilimanjaro thingy was uncalled for. I hope you understand business for you to knw the beauracracy for Kenyan entrepreneurs to do business in TZ, but we still strive and make it. I sincerely wish that the 5 countries drop the land clause so that we can all be satisfied and move on. We are not obsessed with TZ, we just want to exploit the opportunities outside our borders without much hustle, in ma opinion
    you should also have that urge.