Ankole Crown Prince seeks to divorce wife

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
He is a prince without a kingdom and very soon he might be a king without a queen. Ankole Crown Prince John Patrick Barigye is seeking to divorce his wife of 21 years, accusing her of adultery -- allegations she denies.

Prince Barigye has petitioned the court seeking to divorce Denise Tusiime Kwezi with whom he has four children. Ms Barigye says she was only 16 -- and 35 years the Prince’s junior -- when they were wed.
The Ankole prince says in court documents that the couple signed a separation agreement in 2008 after Ms Kwezi allegedly abdicated her marital responsibility which compromised their union.

The separation agreement which the 71-year-old Prince Barigye has tendered in court reads in part: “The parties herein shall continue to live separate and apart from each other and neither of them shall molest or annoy the other or interfere with the others separate free and independent lives.”

However, Ms Barigye says the allegations are baseless, and accuses the Crown Prince of deserting her and their children. She accuses her estranged husband of trying to tarnish her name.

“The petitioner is an ungrateful husband for whom I gave not just the bright future I had ahead of me but my entire life, because as I discovered later, he continuously committed adultery thus putting my life in grave danger of venereal infection,” said Ms Barigye in her response to the divorce application.

She also accuses the Crown Prince of denying her the right to education. “I am presently without a profession or qualification and therefore no career having been sacrificed to the needs of the petitioner; in yet another show of cruelty over the years denied me the chance to better myself with further education,” Ms Barigye says in a rejoinder to court.

Hearing of the divorce matter was supposed to be held on Friday but Magistrate Charles Sserubuga was reported absent. The parties through their lawyers agreed that court will communicate to them at another date.

Barigye is the Crown Prince of Ankole whose coronation as Omugabe (king) was cancelled in November 1993 on the orders of President Museveni. The cancellation of the coronation was as a result of alleged opposition to the monarchy by majority of the people in Ankole.

Back
Top Bottom