Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Analysis: Are our academicians a let down?

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Idimi, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Idimi

Idimi JF-Expert Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Tuendelee kumkoma nyani giladi.

2. M

Mwafrika wa Kike JF-Expert Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Yes and NO!

3. Idimi

Idimi JF-Expert Member

Oct 30, 2007

Some reasons please, for either yes or no.
    Justify

4. M

Oct 30, 2007
    just a minute,

I am going thruu my files

5. M

Oct 30, 2007
    Few weeks ago, I saw Prof Shivj on channel 10 discussing various hot issues in the country. Issues like: Zitto's suspension, Pres Kikwete's trips, etc. If only I could have all educated people in Tanzania do the same, I would answer your question with a big and emphasized NO.

At the same time, I read a speech by a Govt official - Dr.... (I dont wanna know his name) to Tabora residents. The speech was part of Govt efforts to "undo the poison" of opposition parties. I couldn't help it but cry all day for what I saw as a big tyme let down by the Academia.

The answer to your question is both YES and NO.

YES because, they have failed to get us through so far. NO because, some of them are now working hard to get it right!

6. M

Mwakilishi JF-Expert Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Most if not all of our academicians who've joined the political ranks are a letdown, no question about that. But then why did they jump into politics instead of pursuing their respective fields of expertise? Well, sadly some who did and somehow made it to senior positions haven't fared well, either(Ballali and Karamagi come to mind!).

7. M

Oct 30, 2007
    Mwakilishi,

One of JF members had a question about this in the past. Is there something like a bug or a drug that corrupts clean minds of Academicians once they become politicians?

8. Idimi

Idimi JF-Expert Member

Oct 30, 2007
    One of them (educated leaders) promulgated that 'education in Tanzania does not pay', that is why he resorted to 'make ends meet' in filthy politics. He's a well respected professor, still in power to the moment!

Yes Sir,....and this bug is corruption.
    Who on earth can leave his reputable profession and join filthy politis like the ones we have in Tanzania? They think of making something out of politics, that is why they cling to power by 'any possible means', even by robbing and killing. And that is why they are labelled 'The Let Down Academicians', for we see no tangible changes or differences between the educated elites and the rest in the system.

9. M

Mwakilishi JF-Expert Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I would like to think most of these academicians-turned-politicians did so with ulterior motives, like you surmised, Mtupori, to "make it" so they can live on "easy street", as it were, like the regular career politicians, ie makada wa chama!

Some of you will recall back in the days of chama kimoja how academicians were being paid peanuts while CCM katibu katas, kadas and their ilk were living big.

I guess that did a lot to demoralise the academicians, umesoma una PhD yako umerudi kujenga nchi,unajikuta unakimbilia UDA(enzi hizo), mwenzio std. 7 or sanasana 8(ya zamani) kada wa chama Landrover zinaongozana kuwapeleka watoto shule na mwenyewe kwenye vikao vya chama. Now tell me, what's going on in your mind, many thoughts of course, but I bet you'll also be thinking, "I can do that too, actually I can outdo them all"... sasa mwanya ukijitokeza tu kosa, wanakushikia mbali.

It is also a case of "if you can't beat them, join them", I know of those who were very vocal, online of course, against poor decision-making in government, but once they got back and were thrown a bone, they quieted down and now act as if all is hunky dory.

Of course all this isn't and shouldn't be justification for pillaging the country, I am just trying to grasp( well to wrestle with, is more like it) this phenomenon, if I may call it that!