Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Al-Jazeera opts not to air Merah shootings video

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Askari Kanzu, Mar 27, 2012.

  1. Askari Kanzu

    Askari Kanzu JF-Expert Member

    #1
    Mar 27, 2012
    Joined: Jan 7, 2011
    Messages: 4,496
    Likes Received: 6
    Trophy Points: 135
    Al-Jazeera opts not to air Merah shootings video

    27 March 2012 Last updated at 13:44 GMT
    [​IMG]
    Merah was shot dead after a 32-hour siege in Toulouse last Thursday

    The al-Jazeera TV channel has decided not to broadcast video material of the attacks carried out by Toulouse gunman Mohamed Merah. Officials at the Qatar-based channel announced the decision after a plea by French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

    Merah filmed himself killing seven people, including Jewish children and unarmed soldiers, before he was shot dead after a 32-hour siege last week. Police believe the video was posted by an accomplice of Merah.

    Commenting on its decision, al-Jazeera said: "The Paris bureau received a video from an anonymous source [on Monday] entitled Al-Qaeda Attaque la France [Al-Qaeda Attacks France] that appears to show the recent killings in Toulouse and Montauban.

    "Given its contents, we immediately passed the video on to the French police as we were duty-bound to do and they are conducting their investigation.
    "In accordance with al-Jazeera's code of ethics, given the video does not add any information that is not already in the public domain, its news channels will not be broadcasting any of its contents."

    Al-Jazeera said it had received numerous requests from media outlets for copies of the video but had rejected them.

    Victims' cries


    A USB memory stick containing the footage, sent along with a note claiming the attacks in the name al-Qaeda, was posted last Wednesday, when Merah, 23, was already under siege. It was posted from "outside Toulouse", a police source told Agence France-Presse.

    Earlier, al-Jazeera Paris bureau chief Zied Tarrouche confirmed he had watched the video and it showed all of the killings.
    [​IMG]
    Imad Ibn Ziaten's mother pleaded for the video not to be shown

    The videos had been re-edited and mixed with music and recitals of Koranic verse.

    "You hear the voice of the person who carried out the killings," Mr Tarrouche told French channel BFM TV.

    "You also hear the victims' cries. My feelings are those of any human being who sees horrible things."

    Mr Tarrouche said he had to weigh up the "risks and the consequences" of airing the video, but he added: "We are not a sensational network."

    Full story
     
Loading...