Agliotti: 'I paid Selebi R1-million'

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
"I paid the accused an estimated R1-million, made up of rands and US dollars."

This was the response of drug dealer Glenn Agliotti to state prosecutor Gerrie Nel's question as to how much money Agliotti had paid to former police boss Jackie Selebi.

Agliotti, the state's first witness in Selebi's corruption trial, told the South Gauteng High Court that his payments to Selebi started with small amounts in envelopes and escalated to large amounts being "packed" into thick envelopes and collected by Selebi from his former fiancée, Dianne Muller's, Midrand office.

Agliotti recalled two occasions on which he allegedly handed Selebi R120 000 and R200 000 in cash.

The state alleges that the payments were bribes to secure Selebi's influence in crucial police matters.

Nel turned his attention to the Selebi payments after questioning Agliotti on his relationship with the Kebble family.

Agliotti was blunt about his "contract" with the Kebbles -- their relationship with Selebi came at a price. "$1-million was my consulting fee," Agliotti testified.

Nel: "For what?"

When slain mining magnate Brett Kebble and his business partners wanted to meet Selebi, Agliotti was hesitant to expose his source to them. "I didn't want them to have easy access to the accused because then they would no longer need me or my services."

Agliotti also explained the racket allegedly set up to pay Selebi. He bought a shelf company, called Spring Lights 6, from Muller's father, Martin Flint, and used it to pocket the payments from the Kebble companies, mainly JCI and CMMS.

Agliotti also testified how he convinced the Kebbles to replace their head of security, Paul Stemmet, with Clint Nassif, another key state witness, who was convicted of drug dealing in 2007.

Agliotti estimates that the Kebbles deposited a total of R26-million to Spring Lights 6, of which he used R2-million as cash pay-outs.

Agliotti drew laughter from a packed public gallery when he told Judge Meyer Joffe he used to call Selebi "Jackie", "chief" or "Jax".

Back
Top Bottom