Agassi admits use of crystal meth

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Agassi admits use of crystal meth

BBC Sports Online

_46623985_ag_226_get.jpg

American Agassi retired from tennis in 2006

American Andre Agassi has admitted in his new autobiography he lied to tennis authorities about his use of crystal methamphetamine to escape a ban. Eight-time grand slam winner Agassi, who retired in 2006, said he used the drug in 1997 with ex-assistant 'Slim'.
The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) is said to be considering a response to Agassi's revelations.
"There is a moment of regret, followed by vast sadness," Agassi writes about the first time he used crystal meth.
"Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table," writes Agassi in his book, which the Times are serialising.
"He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some.
"Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I've never felt so alive, so hopeful - and I've never felt such energy."
Crystal meth, which looks like small ice crystals, is a very powerful and addictive form of the stimulant speed, which can be eaten, inhaled through the nose or injected.
Agassi recounts in the book, which is called 'Open', being introduced to the drug in 1997, by his one-time assistant.
The 39-year-old revealed he failed a drugs test that year but escaped a ban by saying his use was accidental.

o.gif

I say Slim, whom I've since fired, is a known drug user, and that he often spikes his sodas with meth - which is true

Andre Agassi

Agassi later writes he received a call from a doctor working for the ATP in the autumn of 1997 to inform him that he had failed a drugs test.
The Las Vegas-born American says he wrote a letter to the ATP to argue the use was accidental, blaming his former assistant Slim.
"My name, my career, everything is now on the line. Whatever I've achieved, whatever I've worked for, might soon mean nothing," Agassi writes.
"Days later I sit in a hard-backed chair, a legal pad in my lap, and write a letter to the ATP. It's filled with lies interwoven with bits of truth.

Archive video: Agassi and wife Stefi Graf on Inside Sport, May 2009

"I say Slim, whom I've since fired, is a known drug user, and that he often spikes his sodas with meth - which is true. Then I come to the central lie of the letter.
"I say that recently I drank accidentally from one of Slim's spiked sodas, unwittingly ingesting his drugs. I ask for understanding and leniency and hastily sign it: Sincerely.
"I feel ashamed, of course. I promise myself that this lie is the end of it."
Agassi writes the ATP reviewed his case and while he faced a minimum three-month ban, decided to believe his account and the case was withdrawn.
"This is sure to severely tarnish the reputation of one of the great champions," said BBC 5 live tennis correspondent Jonathan Overend.
"I think it will have underlying implications for the sport in terms of the suspicion about some of the athletes and whether or not they are on drugs.
"The fact that Agassi lied and the authorities believed him has enormous repercussions. How many other cases may there have been like this?"