Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Africa's uppity diaspora exposing it's shallow pretense

Discussion in 'Jokes/Utani + Udaku/Gossips' started by Kiranga, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kiranga

Kiranga JF-Expert Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I thought this was funny in a special way, if you get the drift. Else you can easily be like "huh".

These guys from Africa in NYC apparently are so into distinguishing themselves as "Professional Africans". They even have this event "I Am a Professional African: Networking Mixer | AFTER WORK". "Networking Mixer", really? What is this, some secret pidgin English for some special "professional Africans"? Are they subtly bowing to "You gotta distinguish yourself from all those cabbies, booksellers and book vendors after all" ? .

Sounds almost like "I am a celebrity, get me out of here".

Apparently, our self proclaimed "professionals" do not know the difference between "professional Africans" and "African Professionals"

Have some humility ppl, and if you are going to tout yourself as a professional, have some bonafide professional proofread your poster.To make matters worse, they can't take criticism and would rather drop names of attendees (people you wouldn't know anyway) than say "yes bro, we goofed, English is not our language, we are faking this until we are making this, so be easy on our professionalism and proofreading - or lack of- tendencies".

One can say "Kiranga, why the overkill". To that I can say it burns me. To see such a noble cause - professional networking is dear to me despite all, I am just repulsed by these pretenders- hijacked by charlatans who cannot put a poster together. And it wouldn't have been so bad had it been the case that they were attentive to criticism. It pains me to see a whole group of supposed young turks, in the diaspora and at the exposure of the best minds of the crossroad that NYC is, fail to apply the mantra of "attention to detail" we hear so much about, fail to reject egoism which is the birthplace of half the misery of our continent. Are we making any progress? If this is the exposed NYC diaspora massive, is the diaspora overrated? Or did I just happen to have the misfortune of seeing some event by some wannabe slick but intellectually struggling Naijas?

They now go in the annals of advertising laughingstocks.

With professionals like these, who needs networking?

I mean really people? I have heard of professional football players (as opposed to amateurs) and professional physicians (as opposed to quacks) but professional Africans? What are they supposed to be? Some specimen of fine Africans that a New York Not-for-profit with interests to break into the Aid for Africa business can rent for a presentation at the UN?

That's what it sounds like to me.

Attached Files:

2. Gaijin

Gaijin JF-Expert Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Kiranga acha kuzuga, are you a professional African or are you just an African? :lol:

3. SOBY

SOBY JF-Expert Member

Jan 14, 2012
    How can someone profess "Africanism"?

4. g

guccio Senior Member

Jan 14, 2012
    daah kweli kidhungu kmekuja na meri,alaf 2kapgwa mijeredi ili kukijua,dah ebu ngojea nrudie tena kusoma mayb this tym i wont go 'huh'..labda ntaelewa..

5. Jaluo_Nyeupe

Jaluo_Nyeupe JF-Expert Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Mimi nimeelewa kwa 100% ila kwa faida ya wengine Kiranga naomba uwatafsirie ili wapunguze kung'aa macho kwenye hii thread.