Actress Slams Tanzania Safari on Letterman

Pundit

JF-Expert Member
Feb 4, 2007
I am watching Letterman 09/29/08-09/30/08 there is this actress (Julia Louie somebody describing her Safari to Tanzania, if our tourism is getting this "world of mouth" press justly then we have a long way to go.

In short she was describing scorpions in her bucketed baths, having to kill a black mamba snake etc tec, I knew we had a long way to go, butif she was not pulling that for the comedy effect then we have such a long way to go than I thought.

What did she expect from a Safari?, high speed internet access and Pendolino trains? From the little you have posted on this issue I don't see any negative comments from her. Merely an "actress" describing her Safari experiences.

By the way who the hell is she?

Wana JF habari hii nimeikuta kwenye website moja ya wakenya (WANANANCHI FORUMS - Powered by vBulletin).

Wananchi, Kenya and Rwanda has just put alot of pressure on Tanzania to allow other people from East Africa to live in the countries as long as they are doing meaningful business.

Now I am just wondering what the reaction of Tanzanians is going to be

Posted Monday, September 29 2008 at 20:40

Non-Tanzanians of the East African Community states can now settle in the country as long as they are engaged in meaningful economic activities or employment.

This follows the decision by Tanzania to lift its objections to the right of residency by nationals from other partner states.

The decision was made at the just-ended third round of negotiations for the EAC Common Market Protocol in Bujumbura, Burundi.

It was reached following pressure from other EAC states, especially Kenya and Rwanda, which have consistently advocated for “open borders” to enhance full economic integration in the region.

EAC spokesperson Magaga Alot said the right of residence shall include the right to enter and reside in any host partner state.

Tanzania had objected to the right of residence alongside other terms, preferring further negotiations.

Several Kenyans have been thrown out of Tanzania in the past over work permits even when they were working for Kenyan firms with investments in Dar es Salaam.

The eight-day negotiations for the Common Market in the Burundi capital were attended by members of the High Level Task Force (HLTF) from the five partner states.

However, Mr Alot said that Tanzania still had its reservations on access or acquisition of land by nationals of the sister EAC states.

Tanzania, the largest country in the region, insisted during the talks in Bujumbura that land was and should not be a Common Market issue.

Serious investors

The draft protocol suggests that a national of a partner state shall be enabled to acquire or access and use land and buildings situated in the territory of another partner state for purposes of establishment.

The Tanzanian government has maintained that the country’s land was only accessible to serious investors and not landless people from other countries.

Also agreed on was that partner states abolish all restrictions on the right of establishment based on nationalities of companies, firms and citizens of the partner states.

On free movement of people, it was resolved that partner states “progressively remove existing restrictions and shall not introduce any new restrictions that will impede trade in services among the partner states.”

Uganda is the other EAC member.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/...i/-/index.html

What did she expect from a Safari?, high speed internet access and Pendolino trains? From the little you have posted on this issue I don't see any negative comments from her. Merely an "actress" describing her Safari experiences.

Naelewa idea ya safari, kwamba mtu anakuwa karibu na nature and all that (that scene from "The Bucket List" comes to mind)

Hii haimaanishi kwamba uwe na nn'ge bafuni, au nyoka "Black Mamba" chumbani kwako.

Kama tunataka watalii waje inabidi tuweze kuwahakikishia usalama wao angalau. Huwezi kuwachaji watu maelfu ya dola halafu ukashindwa hata kuhakikisha wanakuwa salama ndani ya lodges zao.

I mean I am not talking about bubble baths in a golden jacuzzi, the woman met us halfway by humbling herself to take a bath from a bucket, can't we guarantee no scorpion or Black Mamba?

Kama maneno haya yana discourage utalii zaidi tunaweza kumlaumu mtu?

this is were kenyans,whitewash us,a tourist in kenya anapata value halisi ya his/her hardearned cash whereas in tanzania mtalii anaona amekuwa shortchanged due to incompetent services.the moment hawa watalii waki compare notes we come out worst,but unfortunatly tuna aka kagonjwa ka kitanzania ka kutokubali ukweli

Back mamba and a scorpion? Please! We aren't that bad jamani actually hotel zetu zinajitahidi, give credit where its due. Huyo actress was either acting, was affected by the financial crisis in the states au alilala guest kule babati uchochoroni na hakuona nge wala mamba

We show a LIVE shot of the CBS News studio. We see Katie Couric sitting in front of an empty seat waiting . . . . waiting . . . . waiting.
Julia spent her summer vacation with the family on a safari adventure in Africa. It was no Marriott, it was no Sheraton, it was no Motel 6 . . . . no, she and the family spent the vacation in a tent out in the wild. She questioned the idea after the guide offered this advice:
"no running" - running is not a good idea when you are not at the top of the food chain..
"use your flashlight liberally"
Julia imitates the sound she heard of a lion not too far from camp. It was not like the roar of the MGM lion, but more of the sound of a lion regurgitating. Julia was proud of her re-creation of a regurgitating lion and says it was the best she ever did.
If I was on the trip, I would have taken that sound as a big relief. A regurgitating lion is much much better than the sound of a lion whose stomach is gurgling. No, you don't want to hear the growling stomach of a lion. It's like when my Uncle Henry comes to visit. You always hope he just ate.
On the vacation, Julia confronted a scorpion, which she killed with her boot; a snake, which she killed with her boot; and fire ants that crawled up her leg. She had ants in her pants and needed to dance.

Source: Late Show with David Letterman

Julie Who? I have never heard of this "actress" before.

Julie Who? I have never heard of this "actress" before.

Frankly I do not remember hearing about her, not that I am that informed about every other Hollywood starlet.

But that is completely besides the point of the thread.

Jamani irespective ya alipokuwa, kvamiwa na scorpion bafuni, akamkanyaga - hapo naeza amini,
halafu black mamba, kamkomoa na buti - maswali yananijia, we are talking about one of the most venomous snakes in afrika.
Sumu ya strike moja yaeza ikauwa watu 30. Halafu ni mmoja wa nyoka ambao ukiwasumbua basi wana attack.
Kisha kavamiwa na siafu, hadi wakampanda suruali, and all she did was dance, mmoja tu akikungata kila mtu anajua ilivyo uchungu [wameniwai kisha, ndo najua], halafu uniambie wengi kisha wazipate sehemu nyeti.
Nitakachosema ni kuwa alichotaka ni kitu cha kusema tu kwenye comedy show.

Jamani irespective ya alipokuwa, kvamiwa na scorpion bafuni, akamkanyaga - hapo naeza amini,
halafu black mamba, kamkomoa na buti - maswali yananijia, we are talking about one of the most venomous snakes in afrika.
Sumu ya strike moja yaeza ikauwa watu 30. Halafu ni mmoja wa nyoka ambao ukiwasumbua basi wana attack.
Kisha kavamiwa na siafu, hadi wakampanda suruali, and all she did was dance, mmoja tu akikungata kila mtu anajua ilivyo uchungu [wameniwai kisha, ndo najua], halafu uniambie wengi kisha wazipate sehemu nyeti.
Nitakachosema ni kuwa alichotaka ni kitu cha kusema tu kwenye comedy show.

You could be very right, ndiyo maana nikatumia neno "justly".Kwamba if the impression given was given justly.

Kama ni hivyo noma maana katika kufanya comedy wengine wanaahirisha safari zao kuja Bongo wakati watu washatumia mamilioni kuitangaza bongo. Naona kampeni zinalipa lakini, kama mpaka vi starlet vinakuja Bongo na kuelezea experiences zao.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe she stretched all that.I can understand if she saw an adder and called it a black mamba, which could be just as bad, but I cannot understand her making it all out of thin air.

But then again she probably made the Katie Couric interview out of thin air too.

Kaongelea vizuri tu Tanzania anakaipaisha katika utalii maana yeye ameongelea jinsi walivyoishi kwenye camp maeneo karibia na national park ambapo simba wanapita usiku naukiwa ndani anasikia wakiunguruma.Anadai wakati anaoga aliua ng'e kuuna mamba kwa kisigina na kazarika kaongea mengi tu wadudu kuingia kwenye chupi kwa hiyo wakala dinner wakiwa na chupi.
Lakini yote ameongea katika mfumo wa kuchanganya na comedy.Kwa hiyo bwana mtoa maada ulitakiwa ujue kuwa alikuwa anamwambia letterman alicho expereince ambacho Letterman wakupata kwenda kwenye safari camp na akamshauri siku aende.

Mara nyingi ukienda kwenye safari namna hii watu wanapenda kufanya vitu tofauti sio kukaa five star hotel au zinazofanana na hizo,na kama wakitaka zipo ni wao tu au alisema alihitaji hotel anayotaka akakosa nop! alikuwa anaongelea tent .....camp kwenye park.

Come to Tanzania for the AUTHENTIC safari experience! You want to be coddled? Go to Kenya, Botswana or South Africa!

I seriously doubt the snake was a Black Mamba. Had it been, they would have been reading her eulogies instead of feting her.

I don't see anything negative in her statements, scorpions and all.

Come to Tanzania for the AUTHENTIC safari experience! You want to be coddled? Go to Kenya, Botswana or South Africa!

I seriously doubt the snake was a Black Mamba. Had it been, they would have been reading her eulogies instead of feting her.

I don't see anything negative in her statements, scorpions and all.

Fundi,

I am sure there was "The Letterman Effect", hence my earlier speculation that she might have called an adder a "Black Mamba"

But also I don't think she stetched all this out of thin air, something drove her to say that.

The point of my post is the concern that our tourism industry is not seriously catering to the tourists to the point of possibly making some number crunchers and trip justifiers -with so many options- to forego coming to Tanzania altogether because of the substandard services -real or imagined-

A former boss wanted to come to Tanzania for vacation and asked me about the National Parks and Lodges, shamefully enough having had no previous first hand experience I resorted to some online travel sites and user ratings, I was not impressed despite the fact that a big part of the negative reviews were blunt western narcissism and instant gratification craving a pink-fuchsia toned silk pillow accentuated with authentic -read expensive, possibly overpriced- (albeit bottled) soft green citrus fragrances, you get the drill. So I understand the "Hampton Expectations" and I am not talking about that, I am talking about basic necessities, cleanliness and safety.

If we are not serious about this market then we should not be surprised to see less endowed countries like Kenya and South Africa doing better in the tourism industry.

Back
Top Bottom