A legal Receipt ?

Sungurampole

JF-Expert Member
Nov 17, 2007
The businesses have been instructed by TRA to use the approved machines to issue all their receipts. It is fine and there are a number of benefits that goes with that. What i am not sure is whether this change looked at the interests of the other users of the receipts and accommodated their requirements. We all know the receipts that were in use before, they carried a number of features that served a purpose and in fact made them qualify as a legal document. Some of these critical features are missing in most of the TRA receipts i have seen. From business point of view a receipt acknowledges receipt of the said sum of money from the one paying for the said service or product. This means in simple terms the receipt is saying that received a sum of Tshs… was received by Y from X for the products or services provided by Y to X on date… depending on the nature of the service other details like VAT can be stated. In the receipts in use now including one I just received this morning from a hotel where I slept do not mention anything about the one paying. This means it is not to me a proof that I paid the sum for that service.

JF experts in business and law assist me is this a legal document as it reads on the top?

..i think the modus operandi of EFDs does not allow these devices to be configured to include missing details of a client/ customer u've just mentioned...the machine helps the business and TRA to track, and keep records of entity's sales and tax information 4easy refference later on when filing tax returns tats y it has no or limited information about the client...if u want a document that has ur details ask them to give u a cash receipt to authenticate the EFD Generated Invoice..

..i think the modus operandi of EFDs does not allow these devices to be configured to include missing details of a client/ customer u've just mentioned...the machine helps the business and TRA to track, and keep records of entity's sales and tax information 4easy refference later on when filing tax returns tats y it has no or limited information about the client...if u want a document that has ur details ask them to give u a cash receipt to authenticate the EFD Generated Invoice..

Or else ask for invoice which will have all information pertain to you.

Vato and Mani i get you in your efforts to try and supplement the info on the receipt given by the TRA approved machine. My concern is whether it was/is right to introduce a system that defeats other basics of business transaction documentation, if not shouldn't we demand TRA to address the deficiency?

For your info Mani invoice in business has a different purpose in business transactions and can not be used propose even if it could still there is not audit trail(linking the receipt and the invoice so far). What are the commercial lawyers telling us on this?

Back
Top Bottom