Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

7 Year-Old Raises Big Money For Haiti

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ngoshwe, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ngoshwe

ngoshwe JF-Expert Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Seven-Year-Old Raises Big Money For Haiti

The tragedy in Haiti has moved many people to open their hearts and their wallets. And the millions of dollars raised by celebrities via the Hope For Haiti Now telethon was very impressive. But wait until you hear how much money one kid raised all by his lonesome -- just by riding his bike.

Charlie Simpson is a 7-year-old boy from West London. After seeing pictures of the tragic earthquake on television, Charlie decided to do what he could for the people of Haiti. But how? By riding his bike and asking for sponsors via the Internet. Charlie (with help from his parents, Leonora and Daniel) set up a page at JustGiving.com and posted the following message:
    My name is Charlie Simpson, I want to do a Sponsored Bike Ride for Haiti because there was a big earthquake and loads of people have lost their lives. I want to make some money to buy food, water and tents for everyone in Haiti.
    I am going to cycle around South Park as many times as possible.... (at least 10 laps, I hope!). Please can you sponsor me and all your money will go to UNICEF who are collecting for Haiti.

Getting a little choked up? Hang on, it gets better. Charlie's fundraising target was 500 pounds sterling, equal to approximately 800 U.S. dollars. As of this writing, Charlie Simpson has raised £152,288.45 -- more than $245,000. That is 30,458 percent more than his original goal. (South Park refers to a park in Charlie's West London neighborhood of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham"]Fulham[/ame], not the Comedy Central show.)

According to London's Daily Mirror, Charlie is a big fan of Simon Cowell's British TV shows X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. So as a reward, the Mirror arranged for the boy to meet Cowell at his London office.

Cowell may be stingy with the praise on American Idol, but he was more effusive about Charlie. "He's the most astonishing fundraiser in the country," Cowell said, according to the Mirror. "There aren't many adults who have ever raised so much money. I think it's great that children like Charlie can stand up and make a difference and quite frankly put the rest of us to shame." Although Charlie was excited to meet Cowell, he made sure to remind his idol to pony up the cash he had pledged, saying "Simon ... where's my money?"

Just in case you aren't feeling the love yet, listen to Charlie tell you himself why he decided to do the bike ride. "I saw the pictures on TV and I thought it was really sad, so I just wanted to...you know..." Charlie makes a little shoving motion instead of saying "help." We agree with Entertainment Weekly's Annie Barrett -- it's very cute. Here's the video:

Charlie Simpson's page at JustGiving.com is still open if you want to make a donation. His parents posted a grateful message on the site, and promised that Charlie will write a note of his own "once things have settled down a bit."

Related: http://www.parentdish.com/2010/01/27/seven-year-old-raises-big-money-for-haiti/

2. Lambardi

Lambardi JF-Expert Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Kweli kijana ameguswa na huo ndio ubinaadam!!naomba clouds nao wameanzisha kitu kizuri sana sana....na vodacom wao....watapata pesa ya kutosha ipelekwe haraka kwa walengwa!!ila wa tz nao wasije wakawa wanaongezeka kila ck ikawa deal!!maana twajuana...
  3. ngoshwe

ngoshwe JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Ubunifu na malengo, yote yanawezekana kabsaa!.Wenzetu wa kule Kilosa na kwingineko.
  4. Masikini_Jeuri

Masikini_Jeuri JF-Expert Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I have been moved to tears by this story! namshukuru Mungu kwa kutufundisha upendo through huyu kijana!