Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

7 Things Never to Say to Your Boss

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Giro, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Giro

Giro JF-Expert Member

Mar 19, 2010
    1."That's not my job."
    You know what? A lot of bosses are simple souls who think your job is to do what's asked of you. So even if you're assigned a task that is, indeed, not your job, refrain from saying so. Instead, try to find out why your boss is assigning you this task--there may be a valid reason
    you can try explaining why and suggesting how it could be better done by someone else. This may work, depending on the boss

2."It's not my problem."
    When people say something is not their problem it makes them look like they don't care

3."I can only do one thing at a time."
    Complaining you are overworked will not make your boss feel sorry for you or go easier on you. Instead, a boss will think: (1) you resent your job, and/or (2) you aren't up to your job

4. "It's not my fault."
    Yet another four words to be avoided. Human nature is weird. Claiming that something is not our fault often has the result of making people suspect it is.

5."I am way overqualified for this job."
    Hey, maybe you are. But the fact is, this is the job you have. You agreed to take it on and, while you may now regret that decision, it's still your job. Complaining that it's beneath you only makes you look bad. Plus, coworkers doing similar jobs may resent and dislike you

6."This job is easy! Anyone could do it!"
    Maybe what you're trying to convey here is that you're so brilliant your work is easy. Unfortunately, it comes off sounding more like, "This work is stupid

7."It can't be done."
    Saying something can't be done is like waving a red flag in a boss's eyes. Even if the thing being suggested truly is impossible, saying it is can make you look ineffectual or incapable.

Last words: When in doubt, remember that silence really is golden

2. FirstLady1

FirstLady1 JF-Expert Member

Mar 19, 2010
    thanx Giro

3. Mama Nim

Mama Nim Senior Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Good stuff

4. Theodora

Theodora JF-Expert Member

Mar 19, 2010