Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

20 Business Truisms That Can Change Your Life

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Edo, Dec 10, 2010.

1. E

Edo JF-Expert Member

Dec 10, 2010
    [FONT=&quot]By Steve Tobak | December 9, 2010 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Once in a great while, experience teaches us a lesson that that can only be described as an axiom or a truism. It just is. You can try to understand its origins or debate its basis in theory, but if you ask me, that’s just a waste of time. You’re better off just taking it for what it is - an empirical observation - and benefiting from its implications.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now, I know some of this stuff straddles philosophy and psychology, but there’s a good reason for that. While they are indeed “real world” observations, they were perceived through a subjective filter - my brain - which, for better or worse, includes all kinds of strange and diverse influences.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So, while you will find elements of Taoism, Freudian theory, Ayn Rand, and What They Don’t Teach You At Harvard Business School, make no mistake: they’re all practical lessons that can help your career … or even change your life:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]If you don’t know, say so. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, stop talking.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]Whether negotiation is strong or weak depends entirely on your goals.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]Don’t jump ship before you hit the iceberg.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]Anger is never about what you think you’re angry about.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]Confidence comes from success, knowledge comes from failure.[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=&quot]A**hole is a subjective noun.[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=&quot]If you’re miserable, quit and do something else. If you’re still miserable, it’s you.[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=&quot]Success is based on current behavior, not past performance.[/FONT]
    9. [FONT=&quot]If you protect your domain or CYA, that’s all you’ll accomplish.[/FONT]
    10. [FONT=&quot]Thin-skinned people are actually thick-headed.[/FONT]
    11. [FONT=&quot]People won’t perform for those they don’t respect.[/FONT]
    12. [FONT=&quot]If you’re not passionate about what you’re doing, you won’t be successful at it.[/FONT]
    13. [FONT=&quot]When you have problems with others, look inside yourself for answers.[/FONT]
    14. [FONT=&quot]The workplace is about business, not you.[/FONT]
    15. [FONT=&quot]Conflict is healthy; anger is not. Get some help for that.[/FONT]
    16. [FONT=&quot]No matter how smart you are, wisdom only comes from experience.[/FONT]
    17. [FONT=&quot]Whine and complain all you want; nobody gives a crap.[/FONT]
    18. [FONT=&quot]You can BS others but you really can’t BS yourself.[/FONT]
    19. [FONT=&quot]The boss isn’t always right, but she’s still the boss.[/FONT]
    20. [FONT=&quot]The customer isn’t always right, but he’s still the customer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If any of this comes across as sort of preachy, just so you know, that’s not my intent. I’m not interested in indoctrinating anyone, just helping you to navigate a complex and challenging working world.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Come to think of it, while I think their meanings should be self-evident - at least after some reflection - I’m probably not the best judge of that.[/FONT]

SOURCE: 20 Business Truisms That Can Change Your Life | BNET[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  2. E

Edo JF-Expert Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Hiyo namba 4, nadhani ni dhana mpya kabisa kwangu.