Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

100s dead in Russian nightclub fire

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Injinia, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Injinia

    Injinia JF-Expert Member

    #1
    Dec 6, 2009
    Joined: Feb 26, 2008
    Messages: 850
    Likes Received: 0
    Trophy Points: 0
    Reuters, Perm, Russia



    A pyrotechnics show went wrong at the Lame Horse nightclub in the Russian city of Perm on Friday night when sparks set fire to wicker coverings on the walls and ceiling during a party celebrating the club's eighth anniversary.
    As partygoers rushed for the only door, scores were choked or crushed to death. Medics said many of those hospitalized were being kept alive with respirators and that some had burns of more than 60 percent.
    Some of the severely injured have been sent to specialist burn units in Moscow, St Petersburg and other cities.
    A clubber who survived, identifying herself as Svetlana, told Reuters: "Everything was catching fire so quickly as if it was made of hay, it happened in seconds. We could not all get through, everyone was pushing, from all sides."


    President Dmitry Medvedev ordered a national day of mourning for Monday and demanded tough punishment for the owners of the nightclub, who he said had repeatedly ignored warnings from fire inspectors that the premises were unsafe.


    "They have neither brains nor conscience," Medvedev told ministers in a televised meeting, criticizing the club's owners for failing to come forward immediately after the disaster.


    "This is not a premeditated murder, but this does not lessen the gravity of the crime," Medvedev said.
    Interior Minister Rashid Nurgaliyev told Medvedev there was no evidence of a bomb. Russian prosecutors said five employees, including the club's owner and founders, had been detained in on suspicion of breaching fire regulations and manslaughter.
    A Perm resident watching firemen pull burned people out of the club said corruption was to blame.
    "As always in Russia, there is irresponsibility and bribery," said the local, who only gave his first name, Oleg.
    "We need to find the fire inspector who gave permission to this club and why he allowed it," he said.


    I highlighted the issue on the fire inspector to try and bring to light the situation in Tanzania. If one of the nightclubs in Bongo were to catch fire, are there measures put in place to handle such occurences? Are there clearly marked fire exits?


    Is there such a thing as a fire inspector in Bongo ( we all know there isn't, but I'm asking anyway to stimulate responses)


    What a sad way to go, dying at a nightclub. May their souls RIP
     
Loading...