By NATION Reporter
Posted Thursday, June 14 2012 at 15:04
Finance Minister Njeru Githae's budget highlights:
- Kenya's economy on good growth curve.
- CBK monetary policy will be geared to bringing down inflation to single digits.
- Sh17.5bn to the IEBC to conduct a transparent and credible election
- Development of roads, energy essential to sustain growth and enhance regional development. Sh268.1bn for various infrastructural projects.
- Sh233.1bn towards education; additional recruitment of 10,000 teachers. Sh480m for computers in schools.
- Sh3.8bn for Free Primary Education
- Sh1.1bn for bursary to cater for bright, needy students. Sh300m towards provision of sanitary towels to girls from poor families.
- Affordable health care to all Kenyans. Sh12.3bn to expand health services.
- Sh1.6bn for strategic grain reserves to ensure our population does not go hungry.
- Sh3bn towards constitutional reforms
- Sh1.8bn to resettle IDPs
- Youth Development Enterprise Fund - Sh500m and Women Development Enterprise Fund Sh 450m .I urge youth to venture into businesses.
- We expect additional resources from Amisom to complement the defence budget.
- Private sector is key driver of growth. We will expand markets through regional integration and support SMEs.
- 79bn to the Energy Ministry. Sh1.45bn towards completion of urban commuter railway from airport to central railway station.
- Sh1.4bn to purchase motor vehicles to boost police work. Sh 300m for setting up National Police Commission and Oversight Authority to ensure efficiency of the Police Force.
- Measures to implement electronic filing of the Registry at the Land Ministry and other government departments involved in the registration business.
- KRA will be modernised with a view to setting up Customs Services as an independent entity.
- Road blocks and weigh-bridges will be removed or reduced to a bare minimum to ease movement of goods.
- Sh1bn to Nacada to enforce the Mututho Law to fight drug abuse.
- Sh 900m for cash transfers to the elderly
Githae's budget for Kenya*- News*|nation.co.ke