Location: Nairobi, KENYA
Application Deadline: 11-Jun-12
Type of Contract: FTA
Local Post Level: GS-5
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: One year
Expected Duration of Assignment: One year (renewable)
Under the overall guidance of the Procurement Specialist and direct supervision of the Human Resources Specialist, the Human Resources and Procurement Assistant provides procurement services in relation to the Individual Contractor implementation ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Human Resources and Procurement Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Human Resources and Procurement Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects staff in the Country Office (CO) and UNDP Somalia sub-offices, UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Implements HR services;
- Responsible for the overall management and issuing of individual contractors;
- Support to procurement processes of individual contractor;
- Implementation of sourcing strategy;
- Maintaining and overseeing the Procurement Filling system;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational and HR strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO Procurement business processes mapping in relation to the IC modality and elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management;
- Analyzes and interprets UNDP Individual Contractor guidelines; ensuring compliance with regular corporate updates and dissemination of information from the same to the staff of UNDP Somalia; analyzes the legal implications, pertinent legislation in relation to recruitment processes; technical procurement studies of UNDP interests;
- Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Implements HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of draft job descriptions, vacancy announcements, compiling matrixes, performing functions of ex-officio in interview panels;
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table;
- Collection of background information for submissions to the CRB and CRP;
- Update of the CO rosters;
- Maintenance of proper filing system for HR records and documents.
Responsible for the overall management and issuing of individual contractors’ contracts, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of processes for the acquisition of individual contractors under IC modality and Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA);
- Facilitate the implementation of Individual contractor sourcing processes including reviewing, drafting terms of reference, vacancy announcements and preliminary screening of candidates;
- Provide information on remunerations of individual contractors and consultants, review and evaluation of financial bids;
- Receive requisitions for individual contractors, prepare contracts and amendments, as per UNDP templates and ensure that all supporting documents are availed and filed as per UNDP guidelines;
- Advise Programmes and Projects on Individual Contractor’s Management Guidelines in line with IC guidelines.
Supports procurement processes of Individual Contractors CO, DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans in relation to IC modality for the office;
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services. Buyers profile in Atlas;
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Provision of information for preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies;
- Review vendor information for compliance;
- Ensures IC compliance with relevant insurance policies;
- Receive and review PO payment requests for projects at the CO in relation to the IC modality, including travel costs (F.10) and ensure required documents are provided before approval;
- Provide advice and information related to procurements of Individual Contractors;
- Provide assistance in problem-solving relating to procurement process with Atlas;
- Propose guideline adjustments if felt necessary, performs any other tasks and duties the organization may reasonably request in relation to its mandate.
Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Update of the rosters of suppliers, especially Individual Contractors rosters;
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the Individual Contractor WEB-based roster (WIDE);
- Assist in conducting annual performance evaluations;
- Proactive monitoring and management of individual contracts that are approaching expiration, completing documentary requirements for extension, obtaining approvals and undertaking timely actions, as necessary;
- Development and update of Individual contractors’ database for the CO office.
Maintaining Procurement filling system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure consistency of all IC files, including availability of all required supporting documents following the guidelines/checklist provided by Procurement Unit;
- Ensure continuous reconciliation of PO files with Contract files;
- Maintain files of POs and Travel authorizations and expenses;
- Ensure completeness of the vendor profile archive;
- Organize all existing IC LTAs and related procurement processes for easy reference;
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of documentation for further submission to RACP or Bureau as appropriate.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings on Procurement;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Conduct trainings for project and sub-office staff.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO procurement services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in provision of procurement services.
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement/human resources;
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant administrative experience is required at the national or international level;
- Previous experience in HR/Procurement an advantage;
- Previous experience in recruitment is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FOLLOW THIS LINK to apply: UNDP Jobs - 30283- Human Resources and Procurement Assistant (Local p