Job Opening number
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system's designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. This post is located in the UNEP, Executive Office (EO) in the Office for Operations, under the direct supervision of the Chief Office for Operations the incumbent will;
Human Resource Management; Effectively coordinates actions relative to the administration of human resource activities ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
· Defines conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
Budget and Finance; Takes the lead with respect to the preparation and implementation of the work programme, ensuring that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with the Programme Budget and allotments issued.
· Monitors and reviews the work programme and budget by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan. Coordinates the production of programme reports.
· Defines requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilization of program resources.
· Develops procedures and implement same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
· Supervises and/or provides guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
· Provides guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
General Administration; Oversees work related to procurement, billing and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
· Reviews adequacy of departmental space requirements.
· Oversees the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
· Performs other related work as required.
Professionalism - Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; remains calm in stressful situations. Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
· Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
· Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law and related area.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resource management or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In
this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance
with established rules and procedures.
1. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the job opening has
been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be
acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
2. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may
not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem
persists, please send an email to [email protected], quoting the job opening number in the subject
header of your email.
Closing Date: Monday, 11 June 2012